• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card - Authorized User - 2nd Try Summary Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wipeout09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Forsyth County, NC

If anyone has had experience with this I would greatly appreciate feedback.

Back in 01 I opened a credit card account and made my girlfriend an authorized user on the account (not a joint account). I defaulted and the collection agencies came after me. They ended up filing a suit against not just me but also my girlfriend the authorized user. We went to court and the judge awarded summary of judgment against me and denied it against my girlfriend. I then filed for bankruptcy a few months later but am still called into a calendar hearing for all cases left open beyond a year. Even though the plaintiffs lawyers did not show up the judge still refused the toss the case out. So now I am out of the case having filed for bankruptcy and Bank of America / Dominion Law Associates T Camille French has decided she is going to motion again for summary judgment against my girlfriend only as I have been removed from the case. Right now money is tight, like with most Americans, so is there anything I can do besides get an attorney? Any advice at all?

Thanks for any help, it is much needed.

azskye

You need an Attorney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Forsyth County, NC

If anyone has had experience with this I would greatly appreciate feedback.

Back in 01 I opened a credit card account and made my girlfriend an authorized user on the account (not a joint account). I defaulted and the collection agencies came after me. They ended up filing a suit against not just me but also my girlfriend the authorized user. We went to court and the judge awarded summary of judgment against me and denied it against my girlfriend. I then filed for bankruptcy a few months later but am still called into a calendar hearing for all cases left open beyond a year. Even though the plaintiffs lawyers did not show up the judge still refused the toss the case out. So now I am out of the case having filed for bankruptcy and Bank of America / Dominion Law Associates T Camille French has decided she is going to motion again for summary judgment against my girlfriend only as I have been removed from the case. Right now money is tight, like with most Americans, so is there anything I can do besides get an attorney? Any advice at all?

Thanks for any help, it is much needed.
Your posting is a bit unclear. You say you defaulted on the card - did your girlfriend also misuse use the card in some way? If not, she should not even be involved ethically speaking, but banks go after everyone possible. You should have removed her name from the account before it got bad. You need to protect her now to save that friendship.

You say the judge ordered a summary judgment against you, but not her. And that sounds correct. It sounds like your g/f really needs counsel. You are out of the collection picture by filing bankruptcy, and your g/f is not. You should be paying an attorney to protect your g/f, or paying the card off for her sake. Depending on the amount, pick the one that will work for you.

Remember, you have a friend in trouble by some thing you did, do your very best to help her.

wipeout09

Thanks for your response, no GF never even used the card. When the card was still active under Fleet Card Services I attempted to remove her name (prior to falling behind on payments). Fleet acknowledged the request but never removed her name. Bank of America ended up buying the defaulted upon debt and coming after her too. I am doing what I can but money is tight right now and I am afraid of not being able to pay counsel (not for a few more months anyway). I guess my problem is they simply will not leave her alone and the judges we have in this state are a bit "slow". The only option that has been offered free so far is to file a counter suit against bank of america since in fact they have no signature from her and the account was not her name (verified with my credit report). My problem with this is lawsuits in America are out of control and I don't want to be that person who filed suit against a bank, won, and feels like they cheated someone out of money. Any legal advice besides hiring counsel?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">