• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Impact of Collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cornfused

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A civil suit was filed against me out of state. I filed my defense papers and thought everything was settled since the suit wasn't accurate. I recently found out that a judgment was entered against me and I am being told I did not answer an "Order for Discovery" for which I never received. I checked my credit report and see that the judgment is on my credit report. If I do not pay the judgment and the plaintiff gets a judgment for wage garnishment or other claims to my property will this also go on my credit report?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A civil suit was filed against me out of state. I filed my defense papers and thought everything was settled since the suit wasn't accurate. I recently found out that a judgment was entered against me and I am being told I did not answer an "Order for Discovery" for which I never received. I checked my credit report and see that the judgment is on my credit report. If I do not pay the judgment and the plaintiff gets a judgment for wage garnishment or other claims to my property will this also go on my credit report?
If the judgement is on your credit report, then nothing will change. The mere garnishing of your wages or your bank account is just part of that judgement.

This doesn't mean that a lien could be placed against property. That is totally separate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">