• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crooked Preacher

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njector

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Ohio

My father was the pastor of a church for 28 years. Upon retiring the church created a contract for his retirement to include a monthly pension until death, then it will go to my mother. They are still married!!

The new pastor has not allowed the church to make the monthly pension payments, saying the church does not have the income.

I'm guessing...hoping there is a breach of contract here.

My question is, if my parents (father) refuse to sue for breach of contract, can I as an adult child sue to get the church to honor the contract?

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

njector said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Ohio

My father was the pastor of a church for 28 years. Upon retiring the church created a contract for his retirement to include a monthly pension until death, then it will go to my mother. They are still married!!

The new pastor has not allowed the church to make the monthly pension payments, saying the church does not have the income.

My question is, if my parents (father) refuse to sue for breach of contract, can I as an adult child sue to get the church to honor the contract?
What does the contract say?
Is this an independent church?
How old is your father?
Is he competent?
What do you know about the accounting?
Is the church having finacial problems?
Do you have a copy of the annual reports or non profit filings?

njector

undefined

>What does the contract say?

The contract states that my parents will have a set amount of dollars each month, until the death of my father and then it will go to my mother.

>Is this an independent church?

No, it is part of the Ohio Baptist Conference and the National Baptist Conference. It has been brought to the attention of the Ohio Conference, but they cannot compel the preacher to act. They go to the scriptures and hope that the preacher will change his position.

>How old is your father?
Is he competent?

:) He is 72 and has all of his marbles. He is a deeply religious man and believes that the courts (unjust men) cannot resolve a church problem. I strongly disagree with him, but...

>What do you know about the accounting?
Is the church having finacial problems?

The preacher keeps the books closed. My father's attorney sent a letter to the church board asking for them to open the books. Although that was several weeks ago (months), that has not happened. The church kept monies from my parents (from retirement banquet) and paid off the church mortgage, bought more property and purchased a new bus. They were at zero debt. Now, he says the church has a negative cash flow.

>Do you have a copy of the annual reports or non profit filings?

No.

JETX

Rather than ask you a lot of non-relevant questions.... here are the CORRECT answers to your post:

njector said:
Of course, that would depend entirely on the specifics of the 'contract'... and that would require a full reading, something that cannot be done online.

if my parents (father) refuse to sue for breach of contract, can I as an adult child sue to get the church to honor the contract?
No. You have no 'standing' in the matter.

rmet4nzkx

OK, Your father needs to take it up a notch, and go to the next higher level in the church. He should not feel bad that he may also have to take action in civil court. He served his congregation in good faith and deserves his retirement and love gifts intended for him. In case he feels that he should not protest this, as it would not be Biblical, he is wrong, the bible addresses this in
Matthew 18:15-17 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV) Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

A Brother Who Sins Against You
15“If your brother sins against you,[a] go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
(This reference is to taking civil action.)
Footnotes:
1. Matthew 18:15 Some manuscripts do not have against you.
2. Matthew 18:16 Deut. 19:15
http://www.graceonlinelibrary.org/articles/full.asp?id=25||42

The state should have records on file for the non profit for the church, these are public record. NPO Regulations: Ohio ... profit or nonprofit, must maintain a statutory agent in Ohio upon whom ... A copy of the organization's annual financial report for the immediately ...
http://www.muridae.com/nporegulation/ohio/ohio.html

Your father has an attorney, perhaps he has some of the deacons who might also assist him, but he has to take action, you may encourage him. I hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">