• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Curious about the suing process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The_Saint

Edit: I think i posted this in the wrong section - sorry mods. Please move to the appropriate area is possible.

I've been reading situations here and it got me thinking.

My fav posts have been the people that think its ok to sell "replica" items as long as they disclose its a replica, and that its unfair to be sued since they make billions.

I'm just curious as to hopw the whole suing thing works.

Hypothetical situation:
You have a very common name - Maria Gacia, and you rent your home. You bring across from Mexico counterfeit Coach handbags and sell them on ebay. The Coach Company catches on and buys one to discover it is in fact fake and gets their attorney on the case.

Just how do they file suit? Its not like they know their social security number.

And what if they used a PO Box for the mailing address? How do you serve papers?

And what about if they move every 6 months?

The only way i can see them getting details is if they get a court order to have paypal release all the details they have then get the bank details, and perhaps do the same thing with them to locate an address?

And what if they opened the account as a foreign national without a SSN?

As you can see, i am very curious as to how it all works. I was talking to someone today about the whole suing thing in Mexico and they said its extremely hard to sue in mexico because you just can't find people. He told me mmany Americans get ripped off by licensed contractors but even with their license details its hard to sue.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">