• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughter lent $$, verbal agreement only.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kfowler57

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I'm not holding by breath but I have to ask. My 18 year old daughter lent $7500 to her boyfriend for a car with the verbal agreement he was to pay her twice monthly and the car was to be in both their names. You know the rest. As soon as the kid had the new car, he was suddenly an ex-boyfriend and she hasn't received a dime. We just found out about the transaction and when we nicely confronted the family, we were told (not at all nicely) that the boy paid cash for the car from money he had saved. All my daughter has is her word, a bank statement with a withdrawal for the exact amount paid for the car on the same date as the purchase and the seller willing to give her a letter, or even possibly show up in court, stating that she was the one with the money (cash), which came out of her purse, and she asked to be put on the title but the boyfriend said he'd do that when he titled the car, (the seller said he had a bad feeling about it when he overheard that). Does she have any kind of case, even in small claims court? We realize she loaned him more than the small claims limit but at this point, she's trying to recoup anything she can.

Rexlan

Legally she is in bad position. However, it is worth contacting a lawyer and having him send a letter outlining the possibility of litigation. There is a very good chance that the BF will fold and come clean. That will be a well spent few hundred dollars.

Short of that you can try small claims. However, if the BF holds his ground I don't see how the court can help, again unless he folds.

Basically you are in a poker game. Having the sales person willing to testify is a huge benefit and your lawyer will know how to use that. If you actually files a civil complaint (via attorney) you would then have the opportunity to depose the BF and make him accountable for the source of the funds used to purchase the car. That money has to be someplace unless he smoked it all ...lol.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">