• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter-Parent Money Trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhinohorn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My girlfriend (27) has been living with her parents for the last 3-4 months due to surgery earlier this year. She also has a 6 yr old son living there also. Her parents are god-fearing fundamental southern baptists who are very controlling of their children, to the point of forcing her to sign over her paychecks while she has been working. The understanding was they would hold her money until she is ready to move out.

Now her son went out of town to visit with his dad and she stayed the night with me and then she became an abomination unto the Lord and was kicked out of her parents house. Now she has found a place to live but her parents don't agree with the location (they would have her 5 mins from their house where they can control her and her kid). They refuse to give her the money they promised in holding and now say they are back-charging her $600/month for living in their basement.

They have threatened her with having her incarcerated for treatment at Mocassin Bend - mental health facility (she has had former drug addiction problems in the past but her capacity as a mother was never affected, legally or otherwise) if she doesn't bend to their will. It's their way or Hell's Highway- no compromise or meeting in the middle with these people!

I have recommended she get a lawyer to recoup her money (if they haven't spent it already) but am uncertain if she signed her checks over if she has any legal standing.

Any suggestions or comments much appreciated !!

justalayman

if this fits in small claims court, she needs to file suit to recoup her money. If there was no agreement to pay $600/month rent, they cannot make one let alone have it be retroactive.

Not sure why she would sign over her checks and how she can explain it to a judge so s/he does not believe there was some cost in staying with mom and dad but it is about her only shot.

Unless this is a great amount of money, hiring an attorney would eat up a lot, or maybe even all, of her money so it would be a pointless journey.

rhinohorn

Thanks layman..

the amount is about $2500..

i understand about agreeing to hand over her checks...however her parents are very controlling and manipulative and guilt-tripped her into doing it for biblical reasons i guess.

The only chance she has got is betting on the fact that lying would be a sin for her parents..I think just a phone call from a lawyer might convince them that she is serious about her money.

Rexlan

Why doesn't she think she should pay a share toward her support and that of her child's ... being a good mother and all?

If she signed over her check/s I suspect it was for the support she and the kid were afforded, not to mention the day care.

She should get on her own two feet and possibly re-evaluate her present relationships. Unfortunately, this small child has little chance. But to your question - without a written agreement saying otherwise I don't think you have any claim to her money from the parents.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">