• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of character and determining awards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hilltop

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My question revolves around the determination of the amount of award once it's been determined that the individual was defamed.

My relative states that her attorney has informed her that she should only try and get jobs in her field of expertise and to continue to be rejected so that this will bolster the case. She feels that she is on some national list that has targeted her.

My relative also states that she is not able to go get work out of area of expertise. In fact, she can't even go work in a minimum wage job because they could make a case that shows that the position they held before was to stressful so therefore they would have left anyway.

If all this is true then how is a person supposed to survive?

Thank you

H

hexeliebe

Sounds like someone is smoking a little wackey weed in the great state of OHIO :rolleyes:

T

thehammer

Seems to me that dequeendistress and hexeliebe have nothing better to do than post meaningless responses! However, they may be providing the answer that hilltop seeks and that could be that the so called LAWYER is feeding their relative a bunch of BS.

H

hexeliebe

Which translated means you have no clue what the hell this poster is talking about either and have no legal training except when the cop yells "STOP!".

Now that was really constructive right?

T

thehammer

All knowing hexeliebe

Please share with the board your knowledge of defamation.

Case in point, we have an individual who has gone to the dept of insurance in their state and blew the whistle on their company. The individual tells the DOI that certain individuals of the company were redirecting monies for their own use. The monies were given to the insurer to turn the ailing insurer around.

Now, the insurer and it's CEO and board members make statements to the prss that, "what we have here is a disgruntled employee who's been let go and is trying to make a case for their current case that is currently going on. In the current case they are wanting back salary and bonuses as well as commissions due to them.

Now, the individuals name has been reported in the press as a disgruntled employee and they're not able to obtain employment in their industry.

All hilltop was asking is; my relative states that her attorney tells them not to get any job because it will harm their current case. Simply stated, if you get a job paying $25,000 a year then your totally jeopardizing the case and I say bull. If defamation is proved and your awarded $300,000 you'll get $300,000.

The disgruntle employee approach is old. To think that a lawyer would advise their client not to work at all is nuts.

H

hexeliebe

O.K. I'll play your game.

All hilltop was asking is; my relative states that her attorney tells them not to get any job because it will harm their current case.
Really?

Here is EXACTLY what Hilltop SAID.

My relative states that her attorney has informed her that she should only try and get jobs in her field of expertise and to continue to be rejected so that this will bolster the case.
Now how are the two statements the same? I'll tell you. They aren't. You paraphrased "...she should only try to get jobs in her field of expertise..." into "...her attorney tells [them] not to get ANY job..."

If you're going to try and do battle with me come armed with more than a halfwit excuse for intelligence.

T

thehammer

hexeliebe

I'm not here to do battle with you, paraphrase or no paraphase. Just answer my hypothetical case. Or am I at the dear abby board.

Let's hear it hexeliebe. And please, don't mix words.

H

hexeliebe

All hilltop was asking is; my relative states that her attorney tells them not to get any job because it will harm their current case.
Really?

My relative states that her attorney has informed her that she should only try and get jobs in her field of expertise and to continue to be rejected so that this will bolster the case.
Now how are the two statements the same? I'll tell you. They aren't. You paraphrased "...she should only try to get jobs in her field of expertise..." into "...her attorney tells [them] not to get ANY job..."

If you're going to try and do battle with me come armed with more than a halfwit excuse for intelligence.

T

thehammer

Cut and paste, that's the best you can do! amazing I really am at the dear abby board. yawn.

Just answer the question! you come out here and profess to be so knowledgable, show it or stop your BS posts!

H

hexeliebe

Really?

T

thehammer

Dear Abby,

I'm dealing with someone who only knows how to cut and paste, they've been asked a direct question and at times I fell as though I'm dealing with Jethro?

thanks,
thehammer

Dear thehammer,

Please stop immediately communicating with this individual. They are leading you into a trap. This individual loves to sit on message boards and provide senseless responses and at times goes on with meaningless diatribes. So make sure that all those out there know this individual is not capable of answering any questions put forth by anyone.

H

hilltop

Where should I go to get an honest response? I thought this board would at least provide some guidance. Please advise.

H

hexeliebe

You would have gotten an answer if someone hadn't come along to take over your thread and if you had asked a legal question. All you asked is "if all this is true, how is a person able to survive?"

Now, how do you expect to get a legal answer to that?

If you want to come back and ask a question based on legal principals then you will get an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">