• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of character by husband's ex-wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

callas2707

I live in Illinois and my husband's ex-wife has been a problem since my husband and I started dating. She initially would continuously drive past my house with her friends, then have her friends call my phone from blocked numbers. This went on until I moved and obtained a new cell phone number. When we finally got married she threatened twice to write on care.com and sittercity (I am a nanny), that I am a horrible person to prevent me from getting a job. I deleted these accounts so she could not write any adverse remarks. Most recently I had secured a position at a school where my husband's kids go. I have connections to this school because I graduated from it as well. I signed the agreement at the beginning of July and was set to start in August. When my husband's ex found out she went wild, screaming at him and saying "no ****ing way is that going to happen" "I will make sure that doesn't happen" and that she was going to "tell the school what a horrible person I am". His ex wife went to the school and filed a complaint just two weeks before I was supposed to start. I received a call from the department head informing me that they would not be offering the position anymore because there were too many new hires. Now I would like to obtain an attorney to go after her for defamation of character but would like to know if this could even make a good case.

quincy

I live in Illinois and my husband's ex-wife has been a problem since my husband and I started dating. She initially would continuously drive past my house with her friends, then have her friends call my phone from blocked numbers. This went on until I moved and obtained a new cell phone number. When we finally got married she threatened twice to write on care.com and sittercity (I am a nanny), that I am a horrible person to prevent me from getting a job. I deleted these accounts so she could not write any adverse remarks. Most recently I had secured a position at a school where my husband's kids go. I have connections to this school because I graduated from it as well. I signed the agreement at the beginning of July and was set to start in August. When my husband's ex found out she went wild, screaming at him and saying "no ****ing way is that going to happen" "I will make sure that doesn't happen" and that she was going to "tell the school what a horrible person I am". His ex wife went to the school and filed a complaint just two weeks before I was supposed to start. I received a call from the department head informing me that they would not be offering the position anymore because there were too many new hires. Now I would like to obtain an attorney to go after her for defamation of character but would like to know if this could even make a good case.
It is hard to say whether you have a "good" case for defamation or not without knowing exactly what the ex-wife said in the complaint she made to the school. It would also need to be determined if what was said in the complaint was a deciding factor in the department head's decision not to offer you the position.

Are there any restraining orders in effect?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">