• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation Lawsuit Against Sheriffs Office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdften

In CASS County, Plattsmouth, Nebraska, a few months back, the CASS County sheriff's office put a post on Facebook claiming I had an open felony burglary case that I had a warrant for. However, the warrant was actually for a failure to pay fines and transportation costs to the sheriff's office that wasn't a part of my sentencing. It was a $700+ bill I was sent while incarcerated for transport fees on 2 separate occasions from prison to district court, a 90 or so mile round trip, 120 miles tops.

The fact of the matter is that I served the time for that actual burglary charge and completed parole almost a full year before they blasted my name on Facebook claiming I had a warrant for the same charge when it wasn't a brand new warrant for a felony burglary. It cost me future jobs with employers when my record was saying I had an active warrant for a felony burglary as well as many other things, financially. So I'm wondering if I even have a case at all or am I just wasting my time?

I have all the proof of needed. Thank you.

quincy

In CASS County, Plattsmouth, Nebraska, a few months back, the CASS County sheriff's office put a post on Facebook claiming I had an open felony burglary case that I had a warrant for. However, the warrant was actually for a failure to pay fines and transportation costs to the sheriff's office that wasn't a part of my sentencing. It was a $700+ bill I was sent while incarcerated for transport fees on 2 separate occasions from prison to district court, a 90 or so mile round trip, 120 miles tops.

The fact of the matter is that I served the time for that actual burglary charge and completed parole almost a full year before they blasted my name on Facebook claiming I had a warrant for the same charge when it wasn't a brand new warrant for a felony burglary. It cost me future jobs with employers when my record was saying I had an active warrant for a felony burglary as well as many other things, financially. So I'm wondering if I even have a case at all or am I just wasting my time?

I have all the proof of needed. Thank you.
What was reported could be viewed as substantially true - or the gist of it was true. You had a warrant out for your arrest. You had a felony burglary conviction.

Either one of these could jeopardize your future job prospects.

I suggest you contact the sheriff's office and request a correction to what has been posted. I do not see that a defamation suit would have much chance of success - but you can consult with a defamation lawyer in your area for a better determination.

Good luck.

bdften

Thanks

Thanks for your reply and advice. I thought I'd give it a try. They do what they want in these small counties. Too many "little guys" with too much power constantly railroading the public. I just want it to stop.

Just Blue

Thanks for your reply and advice. I thought I'd give it a try. They do what they want in these small counties. Too many "little guys" with too much power constantly railroading the public. I just want it to stop.
Little guys could help themselves by just paying off the fines. :)

bdften

True that. I did get that all taken care of as soon as it all came out though. $786 is a lot of money for 2 transports though... Oh well... Life moves on.

quincy

I have always had a problem with arrest and mug shot websites, whether what is posted is correct or not, or whether the sites are operated by law enforcement agencies or by those looking to profit off the legal problems of others.

Again, I recommend you contact the sheriff's department for the needed corrections. I am not sure that the online correction will help you much in your job search, though. A felony conviction of any sort is going to make you an unattractive candidate for many jobs.

Good luck, bdften.

Silverplum

True that. I did get that all taken care of as soon as it all came out though. $786 is a lot of money for 2 transports though... Oh well... Life moves on.
We the taxpayers spend a lot of money on prisoners and, therefore, their court appearances and their vans and their guards and their doctors and dentists and their legal aid attorneys and their laundry and their food and their electricity and their phone calls and their water and their...:rolleyes:

quincy

I think that anyone who has committed a crime, who has been arrested and convicted of the crime, and then has served his sentence for the crime, deserves a chance to recover and become a productive member of society. Putting roadblocks in the path to recovery has never made much sense to me.

Here is a link to the National HIRE Network for Nebraska: http://www.hirenetwork.org/content/nebraska

And here is a link to Reentry Programs for Ex-Offenders, with state-specific resources: http://www.helpforfelons.org/reentry-programs-ex-offenders-state/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">