• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation over termination ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anaberration

Delaware. I was terminated because of a written statement by an employee. I say what he wrote is false. I am willing to take a polygraph to prove I am innocent. Can I sue the employee for defamation, the job market is pretty bad right now and I may not even get unemployment insurance. Employer says I violated a policy, based on his statement.

seniorjudge

Yes, you may sue the person for defamation.

Set aside $20K (if cheap) and three years (if fast).

The chances of winning are about 50-50 more or less.

The chances of collecting a judgment if you do win approach zero.

dolebot

I am willing to take a polygraph to prove I am innocent.
Fairly sure those are not considered evidence. I could be wrong. Well inadmissible at least.

Employer says I violated a policy, based on his statement.
Perfectly legal for your employer to do. In fact he could have fired you for having a bad moustache. Or eating cottage cheese at lunchtime. Or for no reason at all. As long as the reason isn't a protected characteristic - its permitted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">