• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default Of Civil Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrSteve13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi
I am going to default on a settlement agreement at the end of this month. What are the proceedures for enforcement against me? I have no assets or money and haven't worked in almost a year. Will they take my pickup and attach my checking account (there's maybe a couple hundred dollars at any given time). What can they do to me and what should I expect?

Thank You!

Steve

nrknlknek

The post judgment collection remedies vary from state to state (and even Court to Court within states). However, if the judgment is significant; you will most likely be served with a notice to submit to a debtors examination to which you will need to produce your financial records, sources of income etc. The Judgment creditor can also examine anyone who they think might be holding any of your assets or who owe you money. Lawyers will often depose a close relative of the debtor to cause embarassment that will lead to the debtor paying up. Yes, subject to exemptions that you might be able to assert, they can sieze your truck and your bank accounts.

JETX

Will they take my pickup and attach my checking account (there's maybe a couple hundred dollars at any given time). What can they do to me and what should I expect?
Simple answer... if they get a judgment against you, you can 'expect' them to seize and sell any property that you have that is NOT exempt under your state laws.
This includes garnishing your wages, seizing any bank accounts, etc.

MrSteve13

Exemptions

Thanks for the response!
I'm living in the garage at my mother's. I have two older pickups, a 1990 I drive and a 71 that needs work before it can be sold. I have some hand tools so I can hopefully go to work somewhere. I haven't worked in over a year and I've been selling off eveything I own in order to move (I have to move) and so that I was able to keep paying on the judgement. I have never owned any real estate or property and frankly never gave thought to trying to hide anything. I'm as broke and without as I can be without being on the street. Does anyone know what I am allowed to have under these circumstances in California? And how long does this enforcement process take? Thanks for the website and the advice :)

Steve

JETX

Does anyone know what I am allowed to have under these circumstances in California?
In California, a judgment debtor can chose between to 'exempt property plans'. They are:
Option 1
* Homestead: Real or personal property you occupy including a mobile home, boat, stock cooperative, community apartment, planned development or condo, up to $50,000 if single and not disabled; $75,000 for families if no other member has a homestead. If one spouse files, he or she may exempt one-half of amount if home held as community property and all of amount if home held as tenants in common. $150,000 limit if age 65 or older, or physically or mentally disabled; $150,000 limit if 55 or older, single and earn under $15,000, or married and earn under $20,000, and creditors seek to force the sale of the home. Sale proceeds exempt for 6 months after received. Husband and wife may not double the exemption. May file a homestead declaration.
* Pensions and Retirement Benefits: Funds exempt for county employees, county firefighters, county peace officers and public employees. IRA exemptions for conventional, Roth, SEP and SIMPLE plans. Roth IRAs and regular IRAs up to $1,095,000 per person.
* Insurance: Disability or health benefits. Fraternal unemployment bonds. Life insurance proceeds or avails if clause prohibits proceeds from being used to pay beneficiary's creditors. Fidelity bonds. Homeowner's insurance proceeds for 6 months after received, to homestead exemption amount. Matured life insurance benefits needed for support. Unmatured life insurance policy loan value to $10,775; husband and wife may double.
* Personal Property: Appliances, furnishings, clothing and food needed. Bank deposits from Social Security Administration up to $2,700 ($4,050 for husband and wife). Bank deposits from other government benefits up to $1,350 ($2,025 for husband and wife). Building materials up to $2,700 to repair or improve home (husband and wife may not double). Burial plot. Health aids. Jewelry, heirlooms and art up to $6,750 total (may not be doubled). Motor vehicles to $2,550 in auto insurance if vehicle(s) lost, damaged or destroyed (may not be doubled). Personal injury causes of action. Personal injury recoveries needed for support; if receiving installments, at least 75%. Wrongful death causes of action. Wrongful death recoveries needed for support; if receiving installments, at least 75%.
* Tools of Trade: Tools, implements, materials, instruments, uniforms, books, furnishings, equipment, up to $6,750 total; up to $13,475 total if used by both spouses in same occupation (cannot claim motor vehicle under both tools of trade exemption and motor vehicle exemption); business motor vehicle up to $4,850 ($9,700 for both spouses).
* Miscellaneous: Business partnership property. Business or professional license, except liquor license. Inmates' trust funds up to $1,350 (husband and wife may not double).
* Wages: Public employees' vacation credits (if receiving installments, at least 75%). 75% of wages paid within 90 days of filing for bankruptcy.
* Public Benefits: Aid to blind, aged, disabled. AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children). Financial aid to students. Relocation benefits. Union benefits due to labor dispute. Unemployment benefits. Workers' compensation.
* Wild Card: None.

Option 2
* Homestead: Real or personal property including a co-op, used as residence up to $20,725. Unused portion of homestead may be applied to any property up to $15,000.
* Pensions and Retirement Benefits: ERISA-qualified benefits needed for support. IRA exemptions for conventional, Roth, SEP and SIMPLE plans. Roth IRAs and regular IRAs up to $1,095,000 per person.
* Insurance: Disability or health benefits. Life insurance proceeds or avails needed for support. Unmatured life insurance contract accrued avails to $11,750. Unmatured life insurance policy other than credit.
* Personal Property: Animals, crops, appliances, furnishings, household goods, books, musical instruments and clothing up to $525 per item. Burial plot up to $20,725, in lieu of homestead. Health aids. Jewelry up to $1,350. Motor vehicle up to $3,300. Personal injury recoveries up to $20,725 (not to include pain and suffering or pecuniary loss). Wrongful death recoveries needed for support.
* Tools of Trade: Implements, books and tools of trade up to $2,075.
* Miscellaneous: Alimony. Child support needed for support.
* Wages: None.
* Public Benefits: Unemployment benefits. Crime victim's compensation. Public assistance. Social Security. Veteran's benefits.
* Wild Card: $1,100 of any property. Unused portion of homestead or burial exemption of any property.

And how long does this enforcement process take?
Depends on how aggressive the judgment creditor is.

BTW, it really doesn't matter what you have... but what you WILL have. A judgment in California is good for 10 years... and renewable. While accruing 10% interest the full time.

MrSteve13

Exemptions

Wow! It's alot more than I thought! I'm well within those ranges. If I can't pay this payment by the 2nd what would you advise me to do at that point? There's no way I'll meet the max on the cash and tools etc. that the law will allow me. And Have no other property. I've already sold everything I did own (which wasn't much) to pay this judgement over the last year+.

Steve

nrknlknek

Well, it sounds like the Judgment Creditor will come away with nothing. However, they will keep pursuing you (after all, you could win the lottery one day) and depending on how aggressive they weant to be, they'll examine your family members for any insider transfers of assets. Don't know the law in CA, but in most states, they can subject you to an examination 2-4 times per year.

MrSteve13

Another Question!

What is a petition to vacate? How would it work in this situation and what is the procedure?

Steve

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">