• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default by Clerk without proper Service???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kenan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I travel frequently (better than half the year) and for this reason maintain a UPS Store Mailbox to have mail forwarded to me on the road. Several months ago a creditor (with whom I dispute the bill) filed a lawsuit against me and the process server served an employee at the UPS Store. The employee accepted service and put the complaint in my box. When I called in from the road to check if I had mail to forward they told me about the complaint - which had been served 14 days earlier.

I thought it was odd they would serve a UPS Store so I called a friend of mine who did a bunch of Pro Se work himself and asked what he thought.

He said pursuant to Rule 1.140(b)(4) and (5) of the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure, the Plaintiff’s service of process was insufficient and invalid as attempting to serve a defendant in a lawsuit by serving the defendant’s mail drop or post office box is not proper service under Florida Law. He prepared a "Motion to Dismiss" on these ground and filed it on my behalf.

Nothing happened for over 5 months. I heard nothing about the lawsuit. The creditor kept sending me a bill for the amount due I was disputing but nothing about the lawsuit so I thought it was over and completely forgot about it.

Recently I found out that the Clerk entered a Default against me 30 days ago.

When I reviewed the court docket I found this:

No activity for 5 months.
Entry of Notice of Hearing (I had no idea about this)
A month later on the hearing date there was an entry for "Order Denying Motion to Dismiss"

2 weeks later there was another entry "Motion for Default" by Plaintiff.

And a few days after that was the entry "Default Entered by Clerk" as to Defendant.

I received absolutely no correspondence from anyone about this. Had I known it was ongoing - I would have fought it.

Did the "Motion to Dismiss" filed by my friend constitute my acceptance of service or my answer to the complaint or something?

I have since found out that it really should have been a Motion to Quash Service but anyway - now I have a default and the next thing is going to be the summary judgment.

What should I do - any ideas?

chuck126

Default Judgment

Most likely to late for the OP, but couldn't he have filed a Motion to Set Aside the Judgment on the grounds he personally wasn't served, had no knowledge of the service of the complaint and was out of state?, or would these arguments be dismissed because he should have had knowledge of the contents of his mail box regardless of the circumstances?
I know a private mail box store agent can sign for certified mail for a Box holder as they are acting as the box holders agent, whether they can sign for and or except a complaint is another thing? Any responses?
Why would they have a Summary Judgment if you have already been defaulted?
If the OP had attended the hearing the default probably wouldn't have been entered, sounds like you need to check your mail more often.

Last edited:

Ronin

so I called a friend of mine who did a bunch of Pro Se work himself and asked what he thought...
...He prepared a "Motion to Dismiss" on these ground and filed it on my behalf.
Your buddy is practicing law without a license.

Since you chose to not hire an attorney it was your responsibility alone to monitor the progress of your case. If you had contacted the court and kept tabs on your case you would have known of the pending court actions, even if for whatever reason you were not served notice of these.

Instead you allowed your friend to file a motion for you and then you ignored the lawsuit for five months until you were notifed of a default judgment.

What should I do - any ideas?
Hire a lawyer, or be prepared to pay whatever judgment is rendered against you. Although at this point it is not likely an attorney can dig you out of this one.

jdawg83

LOL...i did this long reply to this post, and then I looked at the OP and then the time and date, this thread should of been buried a long time ago. I doubt anyone is even paying attention to this thread anymore

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">