• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defective product sold and misleading!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FFB247

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLorida.
I purchased a boat off a local add on Craigslist back in sept 2012. The seller misrepresented everything about the boat, I learned by now as every single time I use the boat something fails and since he is the mechanic as he mentioned that will stay behind the engine 100% I kept taking it to him. His reason for not allowing me to test the boat was missing the license on the trailer so we could not take it to the lake. Started the engine in the yard with muffs on instead. He fixed the carburetor once and after that all other parts came loose so obviously he was not doing anything right. I learned that I have to have a paper trail and document all facts. I bought it in Sept 2012 and the boat was mostly in his shop, I was able to put 14 hours on it in 5 months and always being afraid that something will happen. I was stranded on water, towed and had major trouble with this boat since I bought it. Last week the boat had to be back in his shop due to a major vibration in the steering. This time I had them invoice me and paid right away through pay pal. Shortly he calls saying actually that is not it and there is a major crack in the housing and price is substantially higher. I know to handle a boat, this is my third I own and he blames all the damage on operation. This is a 21 footer, 93 cuddy cabin overhauled as he says, I paid him $11,800 for it another $550 in further repairs and now $445 per the last invoice where he says that would be the price to fix it this time. The second he got the money he demands more. I believe there should be somebody to help me with this, please advice. At least this time I have everything in writing where he says:" to fix it this time will cost $430 here is the invoice when paid entirely I will order parts and Friday 03/01/2013 you can get it". Please advice what should I do.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLorida.
I purchased a boat off a local add on Craigslist back in sept 2012. The seller misrepresented everything about the boat, I learned by now as every single time I use the boat something fails and since he is the mechanic as he mentioned that will stay behind the engine 100% I kept taking it to him. His reason for not allowing me to test the boat was missing the license on the trailer so we could not take it to the lake. Started the engine in the yard with muffs on instead. He fixed the carburetor once and after that all other parts came loose so obviously he was not doing anything right. I learned that I have to have a paper trail and document all facts. I bought it in Sept 2012 and the boat was mostly in his shop, I was able to put 14 hours on it in 5 months and always being afraid that something will happen. I was stranded on water, towed and had major trouble with this boat since I bought it. Last week the boat had to be back in his shop due to a major vibration in the steering. This time I had them invoice me and paid right away through pay pal. Shortly he calls saying actually that is not it and there is a major crack in the housing and price is substantially higher. I know to handle a boat, this is my third I own and he blames all the damage on operation. This is a 21 footer, 93 cuddy cabin overhauled as he says, I paid him $11,800 for it another $550 in further repairs and now $445 per the last invoice where he says that would be the price to fix it this time. The second he got the money he demands more. I believe there should be somebody to help me with this, please advice. At least this time I have everything in writing where he says:" to fix it this time will cost $430 here is the invoice when paid entirely I will order parts and Friday 03/01/2013 you can get it". Please advice what should I do.
Take your boat to a different mechanic. And next time you buy one, either take your mechanic with you or take the boat to your mechanic. :cool:

swalsh411

You claim to have some knowledge of boats yet you purchased a 20 year old one without having it inspected by an independent mechanic.

At least now you can name your boat something funny like "The Money Pit" or "Empty Wallet".

FFB247

I appreciate every response here, and I am aware of my mistakes. The reason I post the tread was to humble ask if there is anything else to do from this point on. All due respect to connoisseurs out there, however it seemed a good idea at the time to buy from a "mechanic" that will stay 100% behind the engine. Since it was overhauled and everything replaced to the fiberglass, respectively to the engine block. Belive me he was a big time con artist the way so spectacular the boat looks. Anyway I appreciate all comments and any positive advice are welcome. I am hoping to be able to get my last $430 back that I am sure he will not return and move on. I really do not see a small claim posibility, does anybody?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">