• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demand for Restitution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desertoasis

New Mexico

I had 40 chickens killed and fencing/property damaged by dogs. I have now located the owner and found out it's an attorney, so I want to get this right. I am looking for a template or example of a Demand Letter I could use for asking for restitution. I have copies of the police reports and photos of the dogs here on my place. Is there some place I could find a sample or template for this purpose? I'm not a very good writer, :p thanks in advance!

justalayman

don't try to impress the lawyer. You won't. Keep it simple.

I doubt you will find much of anything regarding a template. A demand letter is more of a "wing it" sort of construct.

what you want to do is research to determine what damages you are due. Some animals are valued very low while others often allow a multiplier of the cost of the animal when determining damages. I don't know what your state says to the issue but you will want to know before you write any letter and make any sort of demand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">