• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposition and Service of Papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have filed a petiiton in court. Instead of the opposition filing a response to the court, the respondants (defandants) are now deposing me instead. My lawyer says they can do this. However, this deposition is going on day, after day, after day, week after week. They are grilling me over the coals, accusing me, slandering me, and otherwise harrasing me at thesegruelling prolonged deposition. I come to find they were never properly served in person, just by 1st class mail thus the reason why they did not file their response within the 30 day timeframe! What's going on here?

As for the nearly Summer long depo, (OK I'm exagerating just for humor's sake) my lawyer says they are grasping at straws and are trying to figure out a way to get out off the hook while hoping I will crumble and fold. Do I have to be subjected to this and what can my attorney do at this point?

As for the proper service, last time, my attorney said he would write them a letter and tell them if they do not agree to be served in person at the last depo date, then we are not going to give the depo. My laywer forgot the papers and didn't serve them in person thus I was forced to continue to suffer an onslought of traumatizing interrogation and rack up another $2,000 per hour with all the lawyers involved. Is this how civil litigatin goes??

My last lawyer was abomimdable and egotisticial and was angry if I reminded him of his mistakes. It seems when I am nice and easygoing, I am not taken seriously and the only way I get any action is to remind the person againa and again. How can I get my lawyer to follow through and serve the opposition properly without making him feel like I am micromanaging him?

I would appreciate some clarity and some good advise along these lines. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">