• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

detrimental reliance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mg7630

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I told my husband that I planned to file for divorce and move out of state with our child. He made no protest, so I hired a lawyer to draft an uncontested divorce. I sent him the terms for hiring the lawyer (which stated that she was only hired to file an uncontested divorce), and a list of the terms the lawyer would include in the divorce stipulation. He proceeded to send me his documentation as needed (paystubs, annuity statement, etc) for the next 3 weeks, while the lawyer drafted the agreement. He never hired a lawyer or communicated any problem with the plans. I set a moving date, and gave notice at my job in anticipation of the completion of the agreement. He was aware of all of it. I gave him the phone number of the attorney in case he had questions about the terms. I sent him the completed papers and awaited their return.

Without any communication or warning, 4 weeks after the process began, he hired a lawyer who requested an immediate removal of our child saying I planned to kidnap her and that he never agreed to any of the terms in the divorce agreement.

There was no "contract" but there was certainly an understanding in place. I have emails where he acknowledges the moving date and quitting my job and the plans. Do you think it would stand up in court as detrimental reliance? I would like to have him pay the attorney fees I incurred up to that point, since he made me waste 4 weeks of planning for nothing.

seniorjudge

Q: Do you think it would stand up in court as detrimental reliance?

A: Based SOLELY on your post: No, not in the lawsuit you intend to file.

Detrimental reliance is a term commonly used to force another to perform their obligations under a contract, using the theory of promissory estoppel. Promissory estoppel may apply when the following elements are proven:

* A promise was made
* Relying on the promise was reasonable or foreseeable
* There was actual and reasonable reliance on the promise
* The reliance was detrimental
* Injustice can only be prevented by enforcing the promise

Detrimental reliance must be shown to involve reliance that is reasonable, which is a determination made on an individual case-by-case basis, taking all factors into consideration. Detrimental means that some type of harm is suffered.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/d/detrimental-reliance/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">