• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Differences: Case Law/Precedent/Decision/Rule/Ruling/Judgment/Opinion/Holding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yafai

I would be too much grateful if an explanation is given about the differences among below terms that make me really confused:

- Case Law
- Precedent
- Decision
- Rule
- Ruling
- Judgment
- Opinion
- Holding

If there are additional terminologies that lead to above meanings, please share.

Thank you very much.

Proserpina

I would be too much grateful if an explanation is given about the differences among below terms that make me really confused:

- Case Law
- Precedent
- Decision
- Rule
- Ruling
- Judgment
- Opinion
- Holding

If there are additional terminologies that lead to above meanings, please share.

Thank you very much.
You're in Dubai (so US law would not apply), and we don't do homework. Sorry.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

- Case Law
- Precedent
- Decision
- Rule
- Ruling
- Judgment
- Opinion
- Holding

Thank you very much.
Try Black's Law Dictionary.

Yafai

You're in Dubai (so US law would not apply), and we don't do homework. Sorry.
Thank you first of all for taking the time to reply.
Secondly it is really unfortunate to limit the legal awareness and knowledge within the US borders!
I am only curious about the differences about those terms; NOT as you mistakenly thought for homework purposes!

Proserpina

Secondly it is really unfortunate to limit the legal awareness and knowledge within the US borders!
I am only curious about the differences about those terms; NOT as you mistakenly thought for homework purposes!
Have a nice day.

Just Blue

As this is a site that deals with US Law only...Not really unfortunate. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This forum is designed for people to ask questions relating to US law matters that they are presently dealing with. You were given several resources, use them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">