• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrepancy in documents; omission of facts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

halsal

I'm having bum luck finding anything in either Federal Rules of Evidence or Fed. Rules of Civil Procedure. Any pointers would be very appreciated.

QUESTION: If a party submits a modified document -- e.g., purposeful or "accidental" omission of relevant margin notes or timestamps -- is said party subject to sanctions or just the judge's ire?

BACKGROUND: Both parties have access to the original documents. During pre-trial motions, one party submitted incomplete documents that omit said relevant details.

tranquility

I'm not sure either would be the case. It is unlikely it will be a problem unless proven there was an intentional fraud. If so, there should certainly be sanctions. But, without context and all the facts we certainly can't guess the outcome.

halsal

unless proven there was an intentional fraud. If so, there should certainly be sanctions.
What law grants those sanctions; what gives you belief there "should certainly be sanctions"? My question is to find something tangible like case doctrine or a FRCP.

tranquility

FRCP 11. How can you not know that if you have even superficially looked at the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure?

Info edit:
For the other options available to a judge, read this blog regarding a potential slap-down of a copyright troll:
http://www.popehat.com/2013/03/31/as-prendas-next-big-day-approaches-what-could-judge-wright-do/

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">