• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Dismissed with Prejudice" in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

budjva

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Does having a case dismissed with prejudice prevent me from ever filing another suit against the same person, if the new lawsuit is for a DIFFERENT amount? My reading of Virginia law states that a plaintiff can not suit the same person for the same amount. Do I have any leeway legally? BTW, my case (a counter-suit) was never heard due to me missing the hearing because of car trouble (I called the court to inform), but case was heard anyway. Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

budjva said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

Does having a case dismissed with prejudice prevent me from ever filing another suit against the same person, if the new lawsuit is for a DIFFERENT amount? My reading of Virginia law states that a plaintiff can not suit the same person for the same amount. Do I have any leeway legally? BTW, my case (a counter-suit) was never heard due to me missing the hearing because of car trouble (I called the court to inform), but case was heard anyway. Thanks.

My response:

A "Dismissal with Prejudice" has nothing to do with the amount in controversy. It means, however, that you cannot sue the same person concerning the same set of facts.

IAAL

budjva

Follow-up, Motion to Rehear vs "Dismissed w/Prejudice"

I've filed a motion to rehear (Virginia law). Since both the plaintiff's case and my counterclaim were joined, if I'm blessed with a "Rehearing", does this set aside the entire case? I realize it "vacants" the judgment, but does it effectthe "dismissal with prejudice"? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">