• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ballyhoo

What is the name of your state? CA

I worked for a company that is being sued. They purchased another company and the previous owner of that company is the one suing the company I used to work for. About a year ago I was subpeonad to give a deposition. Apparently the case is going to trial and I could be called again. I do know that the court does not have jurisdiction over those residing outside Calif. If I am called to testify do I have any recourse to get out of this? I don't want to be involved. All I did was work there. I can't afford to take time off work and really feel that I have little if any useful information. They deposed me for 8 hours about nothing already..it was ridiculous. I suppose I could figure out a way to move out of state on paper, but I'd rather not. I am feeling the attorney that represents me and my old company wants me to testify and so I am wondering if they are really giving me the straight information on how to get out of this. I don't care whether they win or lose. It's just a total invasion of my life and could impact a vacation that I have been planning with family for over a year. I want out of this situation. What can I do?

calculator1998

Courts in other states have different rules about taking depositions for those who dont' live within a state. For exmaple some states require you to get court approval first others like New York require that you just give notice.

The key is did they close your deposition of leave it open?

In the end if they subponea you; you will have to fight or go.

The lawsuit is in California I am assuming?

Hope that helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">