• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i have a case ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Richard45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Forgive me if this was already answered. Im new to this site.

I found out a friend of mine conned me out of over $24,000 and used it for drugs. She lied to me pretty much for at least a majority of the 3 years we were re-united. We've been friends for over 10 years and she recently moved into my area. Currently she is going thru rehab (2nd time) in North Carolina. I put out so much money in such a short amount of time (3 years). I was even paying her child support for her kids, who she does not have custody of. Obviously i loved this girl and she knew that, making up all these sob stories to con me out of money so she could get high with her friends.

I kept a diary of all the money i put out week by week and it is a lot of money. My question is, am i able to sue her even though shes not in NJ , and do i have a case even though i have just the diary? Cant the courts issue a ruling where if i win they take money out of her pay and it comes to me ? I know her family knows about the money because i told them, but all they have is sympathy for me. I am not a drug addict and i dont drink or do drugs. I work two jobs now currently to get out of the debt incurred by her.

I am currently paying for a car that i got for her and thats another 13,000 out of my pocket. This whole thing has really emotionally damaged me and i want to get my money back. Am i out of luck here ? Where do i begin ? Obviously i cant afford an attorney, so what advice would you suggest ?

Regards
RichardWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Rexlan

Wasting your time unfortunately. You will need to spend more money to win a judgment and, from the facts here, there is perhaps a (minus) 200% possibility you could ever collect on it.

What's the point to spending good money after bad for nothing?

Richard45

im wasting my time ? You mean with all the drug addicts and poor people that have been conned or stolen from, that there isnt one case where this has happened to someone ? I find that hard to believe.

Rexlan

im wasting my time ? You mean with all the drug addicts and poor people that have been conned or stolen from, that there isnt one case where this has happened to someone ? I find that hard to believe.
You're absolutely correct and, after reconsideration, I would not believe it either. Here's the new plan ... get about $15,000and hire an attorney to sue the crap out of her ... then try to collect the money. However, you can kiss the $15K good bye because that is not recoverable. And, you are not going to get anyone else to pony up the $$ to help you recover from your own doing.

Or, use your good judgment and cut your loses.

Richard45

i dont appreciate the insolent tone. Im just asking for help. If you find it necessary to put people down that need help, i suggest you look into yourself and ask yourself why that was called for. With all the posts you have posted, perhaps you've become jaded. I wish my life was as neat and clear cut as yours. Too bad we all dont live the life of a Rexlan.

Bistro

Rexlan is being realistic.

The advice you've been given is legally accurate; although you've indeed been wronged, the chances of you actually recouping your losses financially are slim to none and (to quote another senior) slim just left the building.

Sorry, but this will probably end up as simply being an expensive learning experience.

Rexlan

i dont appreciate the insolent tone. Im just asking for help. If you find it necessary to put people down that need help, i suggest you look into yourself and ask yourself why that was called for. With all the posts you have posted, perhaps you've become jaded. I wish my life was as neat and clear cut as yours. Too bad we all dont live the life of a Rexlan.
LOL ... you're missing the whole point and not paying attention. You have not been put down but you're not trying.

Here was your question:
Am i out of luck here ? Where do i begin ? Obviously i cant afford an attorney, so what advice would you suggest ?

1.) Yes .. you're out of luck.

2.) If you can't afford an attorney no one else is going to pay for one for you.

3.) The advice is to forget about it and move on unless you want to spend more money to obtain a judgment that you have no possibility of collecting from a dead beat dope head.

All of that was said originally and it is the same answer ... sorry and good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">