• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wroldanjr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I am a landlord of 1 property. I have a tenant that has not paid November rent. Also, I just found out yesterday that I have had 3 warnings from the township they have been sending since October for a broken down automobile that my tenant has sitting in the driveway of the rental. The township was sending the the warnings to my rental address which is why I'm just finding out about it(cause my tenant didn't give me the mail til yesterday). I have missed 2 court dates and now it's rescheduled for 12-15-16. So, I have eviction in process plus this summons/ court date for this vehicle but here is the clincher, I just found out about registration of rental property. I never registered this property as a rental. I just didn't know I had to do this until this week. I think this is why The summons was sent under my name to the rental address. The tenant did confirm that they had been warned by township since October about the vehicle and never brought it up till yesterday. Plus they just gave me the mail with those warnings yesterday. They were keeping it under wraps.
I live out of state and will be traveling to Nj next week to try and resolve this situation. Does any one know what I'm to expect next week? Will the tenant be responsible for the summons? Or will I end up biting the bullet for failure to register the property? I follow everything by the book but I missed the registration of property part.
Will this effect the eviction process?

adjusterjack

Will this effect the eviction process?
I don't think so. A quick review indicates that you may be subject to a $500 fine but it doesn't forfeit your ability to enforce your rental agreement.

Here's a brief summary of the registration requirement:

http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/forms/pdf_lti/landlord_regs.pdf

The statute starts at Section 46:8-28

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2015/title-46/

I live out of state
The kiss of death for anybody owning a rental property.

This kind of stuff will happen to you over and over again and cost you big money every time. Especially since NJ is a tenant friendly state and it often takes many months to remove a tenant without any rent money coming in. When that kind of thing starts happening it's often that kind of tenant that destroys the property and you end up never seeing a nickel for your troubles.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">