• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case against Google Maps?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrlamichhane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon (Incident happened in Hawaii)

I was in Hawaii and I missed my flight because Google Maps kept navigating me to a wrong location (my car rental location) and I spent more than an hour because of this. I called the car rental company and the agent who answered my call also ran into the same error, he guided me to the same wrong location. Then he called that particular car rental branch and asked for manual direction and guided me to there (which was like 4 miles away from where Google had me wandering around) manually. I missed my flight and had to pay for the flight for the next day and lost an entire day because of that as well. Do I have a case against Google Maps on this? Let me know if I wasn't clear on any aspect of this situation. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you do not have a case against Google Maps. They do not have a duty to get you to your flight on time.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon (Incident happened in Hawaii)

I was in Hawaii and I missed my flight because Google Maps kept navigating me to a wrong location (my car rental location) and I spent more than an hour because of this. I called the car rental company and the agent who answered my call also ran into the same error, he guided me to the same wrong location. Then he called that particular car rental branch and asked for manual direction and guided me to there (which was like 4 miles away from where Google had me wandering around) manually. I missed my flight and had to pay for the flight for the next day and lost an entire day because of that as well. Do I have a case against Google Maps on this? Let me know if I wasn't clear on any aspect of this situation. Thank you.

Not even close, sorry.

The responsibility is on you, and only you, to make sure you get to where you're meant to be going.

(There is actually case-law pertaining to the issue and the matter was very clearly addressed - GoogleMaps are not at fault)

CdwJava

And, from their own Google Maps page under the Terms of use:

6. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY. (a) GOOGLE AND ITS LICENSORS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO TOMTOM AND ITS SUPPLIERS) MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES REGARDING THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY CONTENT OR THE PRODUCTS. (b) SUBJECT TO THE “OUR WARRANTIES AND DISCLAIMERS” SECTION OF THE GOOGLE UNIVERSAL TERMS, GOOGLE AND ITS LICENSORS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO TOMTOM AND ITS SUPPLIERS) DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTENT AND THE PRODUCTS, AND WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT OR THE PRODUCTS.​

(CAPS are Google's, not mine.)

Just Blue

This one made me LOL. :p
Me as well...My brother got lost coming to my home yesterday using a Google map. He was pissed off ...I looked at the directions and they were correct. I zipped my lip though...he was po'ed enough and I saw no need to make it worse. ;)

I got to surgery on time...all was good. :)

racer72

If one follows Google Maps directions from the nearest international airport to my house, it states to make a left had turn onto a 192nd Street. The only problem 192nd is on a bridge going over a highway and there are no exits. It also tends to deposit folks into my neighbor's driveway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All in all, though, I prefer Google Maps to MapQuest. When I was working as a road warrior MapQuest tried to send me north on one highway when the town I was trying to get to was south; I ended up having to stop at the State Police barracks to get directions that at least knew where the towns were. On that same trip MapQuest didn't know the difference between Prospect Street and Prospect Street North, which were two entirely different roads that did not connect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">