• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have A Case? IF So, Then Why Won't Any Lawyer Take My Case On Contingency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Accurate

Hello all,

I have been searching for a lawyer for a very long time, but I cannot secure one. WHY? Below are the details:

I am suing my former employer for employment discrimination. The types are
1.Race/color and 2. Retaliation. I worked at a doctor's office. After looking at a patient's
picture on our medical records computer screen, my coworker (who is black) stated in
front of me - but to another black coworker - that the patient (a white woman) "looks
like a pale ghost." They both laughed. I feel like this was racial slur and intentional
BECAUSE they would always make OFFENSIVE comments AROUND ME that pertained to how
"republicans are lazy" how Obama is the "best president ever," about "entitled people
who are on government programs like medicare," about "women who have flat butts," about how
they "love the welfare system" as well as about "CRACKERS" oddly. They LOVED using the word "CRACKERS" REPEATEDLY in daily conversation..
They were also very hostile while training me, they slammed doors in my face and they slammed objects next to me. They also made horrible
comments about the city I live in.
This is NOT an exhaustive list of the things they said/did...

However, it was not just the coworkers. My black boss also would publicly criticize me in front of my two
black coworkers. I was the only white person there in the office of 50 black people. Then,
when I started to complain, my boss told me that I was being "too sensitive" and then fired me.

My AMPLE evidence includes: incriminating emails, performance evaluations, PICTURES of their slanderous comments written on the bulletin board, and more.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US state are you in?

Your case (if it exists), likely isn't worth much money. That's why nobody wants to take it on contingency.

With that said...did you ever complain? How did their alleged actions affect your employment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Before you can file a lawsuit for race discrimination, you must have a right to sue letter from the EEOC. If you have not file your complaint with the EEOC and gotten such a letter, there's no point in looking for a lawyer because you cannot file a lawsuit.

Speaking as the person who used to investigate such complaints, your case is weak at best. Even with a right to sue letter, I doubt you will find a lawyer to take the case without a retainer.

eerelations

My black boss also would publicly criticize me in front of my two
white coworkers. I was the only white person there in the office of 50 black people.
How could you have two white coworkers if you were the only white person working there?

That said, I agree with cbg, if you're in the US, you need a "right to sue" letter from the EEOC. Lawyers aren't legally allowed to take on discrimination cases, contingency or otherwise, without "right to sue" letters.

Accurate

Dear Zigner,

I am in New York. I did complain. I complained several times over the course of 9 months. The bosses held meetings but the meetings did not stop the coworkers from treating me in a hostile fashion. After a final meeting, I was the only one blamed and then fired for the "arguments". When in reality, the arguments involved the two coworkers as well. It takes 2 to have an issue but I was the only one fired. You know?

Accurate

Eerelations,

I meant to say that my BLACK boss publicly criticized me in front of my BLACK coworkers. I was the only WHITE person there in an office of ALL BLACK EMPLOYEES.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is still not evidence of racial discrimination. The only person of one race in an office of workers of another race can legitimately earn criticism, and that is not discrimination.

However, nothing changes the fact that you need a right to sue letter from the EEOC before you can do anything. How long ago were you fired?

eerelations

Eerelations,

I meant to say that my BLACK boss publicly criticized me in front of my BLACK coworkers. I was the only WHITE person there in an office of ALL BLACK EMPLOYEES.
No need to yell at me, I was just trying to get clarification.

What about the "right to sue" letter - do you have any questions about that? (No more yelling please, we're really just trying to help.)

adjusterjack

Eerelations,

This might not be politically correct but you're a white person who wants to sue your employer because your black co-workers and boss made what you perceived to be racist comments?

Not gonna happen.

Or, as they say in NY, fahgeddaboudit.

You didn't get fired because of racial discrimination, you got fired for making an issue out of nothing.

The answer to your question is, no, you don't have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">