• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to give it back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roadwench

What is the name of your state? TX
:confused: I received an unsolicited check in the mail for $1000.00 and deposited it. There was no explanation for the check but it was made out to me with my address. The company has called and asked that I give the money to another person in my town with my same last name. Since this was not asked for and no terms were spelled out with the check is this my money or do I have to give it back?

roadwench

I actually plan to get the money to the person they have requested -- as a moral issue -- but I wonder about the legality. How can it be theft when I simply cashed a check made out to me and mailed to me unsolicited? Several people are telling me I am crazy to give it up that it is mine.

HomeGuru

roadwench said:
I actually plan to get the money to the person they have requested -- as a moral issue -- but I wonder about the legality. How can it be theft when I simply cashed a check made out to me and mailed to me unsolicited? Several people are telling me I am crazy to give it up that it is mine.

**A: yes, you are crazy. After all you had a hard life and it is not your fault that they sent the check to you. You deserve a break. You deserve free money. You deserve to steal it from someone.

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
**A: yes, you are crazy. After all you had a hard life and it is not your fault that they sent the check to you. You deserve a break. You deserve free money. You deserve to steal it from someone.
You deserve a break today.....

Now, where have I heard that before? :D

JETX

BelizeBreeze said:
You deserve a break today.....

Now, where have I heard that before? :D
I think that was what 'Vito' said just after you refused to repay the debt!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">