• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i have to pay storage fees owed by someone else in order to get my property back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cristrb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Virginia

Here is a brief run down:

I had a guy working on my boats that ran a business doing these types of repairs. I paid half down on one to be repaired and paid in full for the other that he supposedly fixed. Turns out it was not. Now the guy has run off. Tried over a year trying to contact him. The boats this whole time remaining at his place of business under lock and key. I finally noticed they were gone and was in the process of calling them in stolen when I talked to some people that were around. I then found out that the owner of the industrial park had moved them into a secure bay. Now they will not release my boats claiming I owe them the storage fees that the guy that was running his business there and ran off, ran off on them as well. Am I really liable for these fees? I had no contract with them and I had paid the mechanic who ran off on both of us. What are my options? Also what can I do about all the money I paid this guy that ran off and cannot be found. Thanks

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Virginia

Here is a brief run down:

I had a guy working on my boats that ran a business doing these types of repairs. I paid half down on one to be repaired and paid in full for the other that he supposedly fixed. Turns out it was not. Now the guy has run off. Tried over a year trying to contact him. The boats this whole time remaining at his place of business under lock and key. I finally noticed they were gone and was in the process of calling them in stolen when I talked to some people that were around. I then found out that the owner of the industrial park had moved them into a secure bay. Now they will not release my boats claiming I owe them the storage fees that the guy that was running his business there and ran off, ran off on them as well. Am I really liable for these fees? I had no contract with them and I had paid the mechanic who ran off on both of us. What are my options? Also what can I do about all the money I paid this guy that ran off and cannot be found. Thanks
Your recourse would be to pay them and then sue the other guy to recoup your loss...assuming you want the boats back, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">