• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to include my social security number on post-judgment interrogatories?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomscreennam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC/VA

I was sued in DC and lost a lawsuit for an interior design contract. Long story. I live in VA and the plaintiff filed post-judgment interrogatories in D.C. and asks for my SSN. This private individual is the homeowner (pro se), not a business, a credit card company, or other operation. I have no problems answering the other questions, but given the fact that this is an individual, I am not keen on providing my SSN to an entity who could use my SSN in bad faith or have it fall into the wrong hands. The homeowner already has sent messages threatening jail specifically for not providing the SSN. What should I do?

cyjeff

You should tell the homeowner to pound sand.

Unless a judge has told you to provide this information, the homeowner has no authority whatsoever to insist you do it.

Rexlan

Your concerns are ill-founded. You were the cause of the first action and continue to be the cause of this new action. You can do it the easy way or the hard way; however, in the end you will need to satisfy the judgment.

You don't need to provide the SSN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">