• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I pay a Judgement for a bill to a company that is out of Business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrsauceman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

I have a Judgement that was filed agianst me in May of 1992. It has been dormant for all these years, however, now an attorney is trying to collect it.

The judgement is against me personnaly, even though I am pretty sure that the merchandise that it is for was purchased by my business ( a corporation) which has been closed for a number of years.

I was NEVER served or asked to appear about this, and when I ask for a copy of the bill I am told that it is unnecessary to produce it because there is already a judgement.

The attorney refuses to settle, and when I tried to call the company that is named as the Plantiff in the Judgement, while the name is listed in the phone book, when I call the number I am told that it is now a different company.

Sorry for the long into, here are my questions:

1) Is the judgement valid if the Plantiff is out of business.

2) If it is valid, is there any way I can "force" the attorney to give me a copy of the bill.

3) Is there a statute of limitations for judgements?

Any help would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">