• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do prisoners loose all rights to their property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cgswss

michigan
Do prisoners loose all rights to their property when they go to prision? My son lived with his girlfriend for 4 years in a new house that he paid to have built. He is now in prison and the bank wants her out by July 3. I have power of lawyer. She is going to be moving out and she is claiming EVERYTHING is her because he is in prison. She claims to have talked to lawyer and everything that was his is now hers. Could this be possible? We live in Michigan

justalayman

she is wrong. What is his is his. The only thing I could suggest as being possible is jointly owned property, she would have an arguable right to possess but other than that, no, he does not give up his property simply by virtue of being incarcerated.

cgswss

division of propety

Background: My Son built a new house on 5ac we split off of my 40ac farm. The bank paid out all the money ($240,000) to the builder who did not pay the subs or suppliers. We paid off the subs and finished the house our selves. Fall of 2005 he, his girl friend, and her 2 per teen girls moved in. We share a common lawn so I cut the grass for both houses. Someone broke into my garage and took the mowers and a number of other things. The insurance company would pay us $500 as the value of the mower or pay replacement value after we replaced it. My son’s and my credit were maxed because by finishing the house, so His girl friend financed the new mower in her name. A couple weeks later I got the check from the insurance company (about $5000) and signed it over to her to pay for the mower and give them money to catch up on some bills. She did not pay off the mower (about $3000). A year later all their bills, like her $650 car payment and the $200 payment on the mower was more then they made in a month but they could pay everything off with a loan against my home (which we put in my son’s name) and have a payment of only $450 a month. This loan required that they pay off all her bills, including a 10,000 plus credit card debt, the $25,000 loan on her car, and the $2500 loan on the mower. So basically the mower has been paid for twice, first by my insurance check and then again by the two party loan on my farm (the two parties being my son and her)

In April of 2009 she broke up with him threw the engagement ring at him, and moved out. She returned a couple of times to take more items out of the house plus to get cloths over the next week. Then my Son was arrested. Two days later she moved back into the house. She had permission from anyone to move back in but she insisted it was her right and the police would do nothing about it without a court order. We paid a lawyer $180 to write a letter that she was not allowed to live there and move out within a month. This was followed with a notice to quit. Both of which she ignored. During this time I was mowing both lawns. She had her Dad move in and he started mowing the lawns and parking the mower in my son’s garage (where she was living).

Problem: We are about a month away from when the bank will force her to move out. We sent her a letter with a split of the property. She will not consider it, everything is hers. She has removed the mower from the property- she says she gave it to her cousin.

The police will do nothing without a court order; they sent me to the court. The clerk at the court will not help saying that I have to know what forms to file and they can’t tell me what they are. I should hire a lawyer. I went to the prosecutor and they said they can’t help me, its civil hire a lawyer. Talked to a couple of lawyers they say no one every wins these things and they want $2000 up front. Suggested I sue in small claims.

So I’m looking for an informed opinion on this. If I took this to small claims would the fact that she first bought it be the deciding factor, of would the fact that it was paid for with a joint loan at a later date be considered? We are in Michigan.

justalayman

it shouldn't be difficult to determine the ownership of the mower with the check you got from the insurance company that you signed over to the girl.

A couple weeks later I got the check from the insurance company (about $5000) and signed it over to her to pay for the mower and give them money to catch up on some bills
you made some of the problem by apparently allowing her or her dad to use your mower. While what they did might be considered to be criminal, if it is not clearly as such, the police often refuse to act. Since you already spoke with the prosecutor, you are relegated to civil court.

. The problem with Michigan small claims is the limit is $3000 and winning doesn't mean you will actually get your money. It means you get a judgment from the courts saying they do owe you the money. Small claims court in Michigan does not provide equitable relief, which means they cannot order the return of the mower. All they can do is award you money.

If you want to sue for the return of the mower, you would have to sue in circuit court but doing so without an attorney would be more difficult. They require you to follow the rules of the court quite closely and they do not help you through anything.

cgswss

grasping at straws in michigan

OK I know this is stretching it (a lot) but it’s what you get when our legal education is provided by TV shows. My Son’s X girlfriend in living in his house. She has been sent a quit notice which she ignored. Soon she will be moving out because of foreclosure. There are a number of items in his home that belong to me. I have asked several times to be allowed to retrieve my property. She just gives me circle talk and will not allow me to retrieve my property. She has her new live in boyfriend guarding the house. In my opinion he has no right to prevent me from doing anything but you know how valuable my opinion is. I have power of attorney. There is no order restricting my son from going in his house. “Legally” I’m him right? So I should have access to the house, right? Hey I warned you it was thin, but at this point the police refuse to help me without a court order. I live in Michigan and I really don’t want to loose all his stuff and all my stuff because we didn’t have the money to complete the eviction process.

--Grasping at straws in Michigan—

Isis1

OK I know this is stretching it (a lot) but it’s what you get when our legal education is provided by TV shows. My Son’s X girlfriend in living in his house. She has been sent a quit notice which she ignored. Soon she will be moving out because of foreclosure. There are a number of items in his home that belong to me. I have asked several times to be allowed to retrieve my property. She just gives me circle talk and will not allow me to retrieve my property. She has her new live in boyfriend guarding the house. In my opinion he has no right to prevent me from doing anything but you know how valuable my opinion is. I have power of attorney. There is no order restricting my son from going in his house. “Legally” I’m him right? So I should have access to the house, right? Hey I warned you it was thin, but at this point the police refuse to help me without a court order. I live in Michigan and I really don’t want to loose all his stuff and all my stuff because we didn’t have the money to complete the eviction process.

--Grasping at straws in Michigan—

legally, you are not him.

just to clarify....son and ex live in the same house still and ex has a live in boyfriend with her too?

justalayman

my caffine level is low......that's my story and i'm sticking to it!!:p
:)

cgswss; it sounds like you are attempting to use the POA as a means to collect your property in the house. A POA does not allow you to act in that manner.

so, who owns the house? (I know, the bank will shortly)

btw: did you know that in Michigan, the lender can seek a deficiency judgment for the difference in the sale of the house and the mortgage loan balance?

cgswss

the longer story

In not short enough short hand…
Son builds new house 2005, Moved in with girl friend and her two girls (not his). Loan in his name, deed in his name (was part of my farm). Son pays loan, she pays food utilities plus insurance and gas for her car. BTW she brings home just over $800 every two weeks, and this is a $250,000 house. They become engaged, she breaks up and throws engagement ring at him and moves out. A week later he is arrested and 2 days later she moves back in. She pays nothing until they shut off electric, disk, and gas. She then opens new accounts in her name. She did not have permission to move back in. I have POA tell her she does not permission to live there. I pay lawyer to send her letter to vacate and after 30 days quit notice (this costs us $180) she does not move out. Atty wants $400 more to bring to court and sz could cost as much as $2000. I can’t afford that. She gets to live in $250,000 house with all new everything for 12 months rent free. I go to get mower (long story above) to start mowing for year-she says she gave it to her cousin. Son sends letter to me address to both of us suggests split of household. I go over to house when her new live in boyfriend is there and pick up my saw then come back to pick up my wheels. (I have a Roush- wheels have Roush written all over them) In Michigan I have ‘winter’ wheels and the cool Roush wheels for summer) Boy friend tries to prevent me from taking MY wheels out of my son’s Garage body bumps me pushes me screams at me and tells me he is going to beat my Fing A__. (Btw I’m a 61 year old fat person) And calls police. Next day they move car that was bought joint off grounds and she tells me that EVERYTHING is hers. Because he is in prison he looses all rights.
Cops spin me. They can’t do anything because she was invited into the home 4 years ago. Letter doesn’t count quit notice doesn’t count. Which leaves me trying ANYTHING to try to preserve some of our property. So there you go an official the law sucks short story. There’s more, like me loosing my farm because she took out equity loan for 120,000 against my farm then declaring BK7, but I don’t think that effects anything.

justalayman

well, I don't know how she could take an equity loan against your farm without you signing for it but apparently that is another situation.

You should have evicted her long ago. She is a tenant in the house and can be treated as a tenant which means she can be evicted. I guess that is a moot point due to the foreclosure though.

I just don't know what to tell you really. You can sue in small claims court for the $3k as long as you have reasonable proof. It appears there is much more involved and I doubt you are going to be able to maneuver through the courts on your own. Not having the money to be able to fight this is most likely going to cost you a lot in lost property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">