• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Document Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bononos

What is the name of your state?
OH
I'm going to try this question here.
My ex and I will bickering about Child Support in court soon.
He's the type who doesn't claim hardly any income, works side jobs, etc...
When we were married I had our file cabinet and took it after divorce. It's been 3 years and he's never asked for anything from it, now he claims if I have anything of his to show at the hearing, pay stubs, W-2 (we filed married filing sep.) he will press theft charges against me.
Is he for real? He gave me these papers to file.
He claims even the pay stubs are "legal" documents, he has the attorney, not me, is he blowing smoke up my butt or is it "illegal" for me to have this stuff.
Plus, that's all he wants, he still hasn't asked for any of the other paperwork.

S

seniorjudge

bononos said:
What is the name of your state?
OH
I'm going to try this question here.
My ex and I will bickering about Child Support in court soon.
He's the type who doesn't claim hardly any income, works side jobs, etc...
When we were married I had our file cabinet and took it after divorce. It's been 3 years and he's never asked for anything from it, now he claims if I have anything of his to show at the hearing, pay stubs, W-2 (we filed married filing sep.) he will press theft charges against me.
He claims even the pay stubs are "legal" documents, he has the attorney, not me, is he blowing smoke up my butt or is it "illegal" for me to have this stuff.
Plus, that's all he wants, he still hasn't asked for any of the other paperwork.
he claims if I have anything of his to show at the hearing, pay stubs, W-2 (we filed married filing sep.) he will press theft charges against me.

You're in legal possession of these documents (unless the divorce decree said to turn them over to him) so you can use them the way you see fit.

badapple40

You could always make photocopies of them and send him those. You probably have to do that anyways in terms of discovery.

bononos

Thanks guys!
Divorce decree said NIL!
I'll just keep them, I don't want to clue him in on what I have. :p

S

seniorjudge

bononos said:
Thanks guys!
Divorce decree said NIL!
I'll just keep them, I don't want to clue him in on what I have. :p
Okay, but BA was right.

now he claims if I have anything of his to show at the hearing

If you want to introduce anything at the hearing you will have to give them to his lawyer BEFORE the hearing; otherwise, the judge will not let the info in.

M

meganproser

When you say "he" told you this stuff, you do mean your ex told you this crap directly right? His attorney didn't say these things did he?

now he claims if I have anything of his to show at the hearing, pay stubs, W-2 (we filed married filing sep.) he will press theft charges against me.

The answer to your actual question is, no he will not be able to press theft charges on you (unless he lies about how you acquired the documents).

bononos

I'm sorry, it's not an actual "hearing" I guess, but the Child Support confrence with a court officer.
Do I need to send copies for that t his attorney? The have made no legal requests, just ex's verbal yelling requests.
Believe it or not "he" left a fully detailed message on my voice mail (already onto the recorder) stating this, and also he'll be suing me for the ring, is he stupid, we were married.

S

seniorjudge

bononos said:
I'm sorry, it's not an actual "hearing" I guess, but the Child Support confrence with a court officer.
Do I need to send copies for that t his attorney? The have made no legal requests, just ex's verbal yelling requests.
Believe it or not "he" left a fully detailed message on my voice mail (already onto the recorder) stating this, and also he'll be suing me for the ring, is he stupid, we were married.
Q: Do I need to send copies for that t his attorney?

A: Your call, I guess, but if you're wanting to get more money out of him, it seems to me that you would want his attorney to know all about how much he made/makes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">