• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does cashing a payment from a defendant automatically enter me into a payment plan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KhakiCampbell

I had a civil judgment entered in my favor for over $4,000 in Bucks County, PA through the Magesterial District Court. Thirty days after the judgment I filed an order of execution. Today I received a $100 check from the defendant. No payment plan has been presented to the judge. If I cash this check, am I automatically agreeing to a payment plan?

latigo

I had a civil judgment entered in my favor for over $4,000 in Bucks County, PA through the Magesterial District Court. Thirty days after the judgment I filed an order of execution. Today I received a $100 check from the defendant. No payment plan has been presented to the judge. If I cash this check, am I automatically agreeing to a payment plan?
No. Nor are you bound by any deferred payment schedule unless you agree in writing. Including any "payment plan" that may be presented to the judge or emerge from the court.

Make a copy of the check before depositing it and pray that it clears Also keep accurate records of any future credits received.

KhakiCampbell

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

no. Nor are you bound by any deferred payment schedule unless you agree in writing. Including any "payment plan" that may be presented to the judge or emerge from the court.

Make a copy of the check before depositing it and pray that it clears also keep accurate records of any future credits received.
thank you, thank you, thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">