• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does moving to another state bar me from represent myself in the federal court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

No wonder my lawyer implies that if I refuse to sign the content to withdrawal agreement he will file a motion to withdraw with the court and mention something in the motion that could jeopardize my case. I haven't signed the content to withdrawal agreement.
My lawyer is on contingency fee. My case is quite strong. But when he sees the opposite side has very deep pocket and is determined to make the suit linger as long as possible, he decides to quit. His incoming retirement is true. But his law firm has dozens of lawyers available to take over this case, but they may not be willing to represent me on contingency.
"Mention something in the motion that could jeopardize (your) case"? Did he have something specific in mind or did it seem a general warning of the type of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow .

manhattan2

"Mention something in the motion that could jeopardize (your) case"? Did he have something specific in mind or did it seem a general warning of the type of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow .
I got what you mean. It is funny that you use that video as a metaphor. In every turn I had to play game with my lawyer. He gives me more heart attack than the opposite lawyer did.
Well, he means a specific thing: a piece of unofficial document that we decided not to use as evidence. Not critical to my case but could cause some unnecessary troubles to explain.

tranquility

I got what you mean. It is funny that you use that video as a metaphor. In every turn I had to play game with my lawyer. He gives me more heart attack than the opposite lawyer did.
Well, he means a specific thing: a piece of unofficial document that we decided not to use as evidence. Not critical to my case but could cause some unnecessary troubles to explain.
While I'm still not sure why he wants to withdraw and how it is specifically related to the document, such a treat might start impinging on ethics. I hesitate to say it was improper as I don't know the facts, but little alarm bells are ringing in my head.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You said:

The answer was, No. Extrapolate - No, it doesn't. If you need it spelled out for you, No, moving to another state doesn't bar you from representing yourself in the Federal court.

I don't know why that was hard. Flunked English class, did you?

Just Blue

You said:

The answer was, No. Extrapolate - No, it doesn't. If you need it spelled out for you, No, moving to another state doesn't bar you from representing yourself in the Federal court.

OG said it best for this OP. Page 1, Post 2.

:)

manhattan2

You said:

My English teacher died young, so our football coach took his role in the class. Blame him.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
His job is to present the material. Yours is to learn it.

So I'll blame you, if you're not able to understand a simple response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">