• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Bite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cocaworm

I live in Texas.

I live with my mother who rents a moblie in a small community. We have a dog in our back yard which is tied up. The dog is a dalmation.

Today a 4 year little girl who lives next door stuck her hand through the fence to pet our dog, that we have had for 3 years old in the same place and for the 1st time the dog bit. The bite did break skin.

The parents of the little girl are treating to call the police, we have agreed to move the dog away from their area of the fence.

The dog has also had all of his shots, and has never acted violently before this. But has since snapped at a couple of people today, inculding the father of the little girl.

We have no signs up saying beware of dog, but these people have touched the dog many times and has never had anything happen to them before.

Is there anything they can do to make us get rid of the dog, or is there anything we should do to insure we are able to keep the dog...

Please let me know.

hbreen

You may want to take the dog to the vet to see if there is a medical reason why he is acting violently towards others. I would be concerned, if I were you, if he hasn't acted like this previously.

Cocaworm

I am even more concerned because I have a 4 year old and 2 year old, and I don't want anything happening to them.

Plus if something worse happens next time I know how I will feel.

I would rather just get rid of the dog, but he is not mine and my brother has a very close bond to him.

We are planning on taking the dog to the vet but I just wanted to know for my brothers case, it the family can get the dog taken away...

ENASNI

well

Animal control will probably investigate, They will check on your shot records. If they are not up to date or even if they may ask for a quarantine period. This can be done at home or at their facility... If after a certain amount of time (usually 10-15 days) The dog shows no signs of illness. He is released back home, (if not allowed to be quarantined at home)
You will most likely be liable for the cost of the injuries to the little girl. (or your mother or her home owners insurance)

As far as the dog being destroyed (poor puppy) this cannot usually be done until a case is brought before the courts... it is usually done for "dangerous dogs" which need to be registered anyway.

The dog was in the fence, not loose so that is good too. (for your brothers sake) I guess you are a cat person...

I think Spot is gonna live...
But hbreen is right, if it isn't acting normally... something may be up.
VET TIME! Come on boy...

Cocaworm

how funny his name is spot.

but we do not have home owners insurance or rental insurance for that matter.

so let's say that something happend to the dog and he was gone for 15 days would the little girl need to wait or should we advise them to go and get it checked out.

and do we need to pay for the doctor bills or do they since she stuck her arm through the fence...

also he has had shots a year or so ago but i am sure my mother has lost the papers she loses everything... -sorry mom-

ENASNI

No Kidding!

Spot huh, funny...

Well, If your Mom is anything like my Mom... better ask the vet.
Rabies is what we are looking at. The animal control officer will want to know, Texas has the 3 year law in effect. its within 4 months then a year then 3 years ever after for the rabies shots.
But you are taking him to the vet soon anyhow, right?

About the bite... , I wouldn't be telling them what to do or what not to do... If my daughter was bit, I would be doing what I wanted to do.

About who is liable... gee... I am just a dog-lover... I will let the Lawyers. handle that one... seems that it was enclosed in Mom's yard and the little girl was in a sense "trespassing" there might be some gray areas... but again...
Not a lawyer... just love doggies...
hmmm Spot... your brother doesn't have much of an imagination does he... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">