• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog law and responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nib138

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

About a month ago, my neighbor's dog, whom is allowed to roam free on his property, ran onto my property and attacked my dog while on a leash. I called the cops and the neighbor received a warning.

About 3 weeks ago the neighbor talks to me and says that if there are problems, just come talk to him. A couple days later his dog again comes on my property and attacks my other dog that is chained to my deck. I let this go which I now regret.

My dog that was attacked the first time now hates this dog and growls and barks viciously when he sees the dog. He escaped about two weeks ago from his chain and got in a fight through a gate on neighbors deck. Neighbor calls the cop and I get warning. Neighbor tells cop he is doing it because I turned him in.

A few days ago, my dog that was attacked in the second instance, got out because my 19 month old child opened the back door. I followed the dog through neighbors yard and got hold of him, and brought him home. No injuries, no damage to property but neighbor calls police and now I am getting citation.

Am I able to fight this using Due Care as my defense in securing dogs? If I can fight and win, can I seek compensatory damages for missed work for hearing, time invested in creating my own defense?

Any insight is appreciated.

Alex23

Insight .. get rid of the dogs. You're stuck with the kid though.
hehe

What were you cited for? Tresspass or violent canines?

Shouldn't you have a fence between your properties if the cross animal relations are so strained?

Did you deduct the fine from your kid's allowance, since it's his fault?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">