• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestication of Foreign judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmarco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I am in the midlle of domesticating an out of state judgement. I registered it with the county and then the Curcuit Civil,waited 30 days was assigned a case # and registered this with the state. The debt collection person I hired says it isn't a bonafide judgement yet. It is listed as "pending" . When I called the judges clerk she said she couldn't give me legal advice. I just want to know what the process is. I think I may be missing a step. The original judgement comes from a consent order and judgement in NJ. Is this just administrative and the judge will just sign it or will there be a hearing? Help! I'm stuck. Consulted a Fl Esq who said they wouldn't pick it up in the middle.

latigo

Maybe you hired the wrong scum bag "debt collector". They come in assorted colors.

BTW, have you read the Florida Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act? (Florida Statutes Title VI, Chapter 55 – Judgments - Sections 55.501 et seq.)

rmarco

I think you are right. I have read the statutes and think i have followed them. Now that there is a case # I don't know if the judge will just sign it or if there is a step (motion) in between I must do in order for it to be final and then registering with the state,
I think i read your reply to a similar situation 1-31-01.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">