• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Downloading a movie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BeingSuedSucks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

So I guess I'm being sued for downloading a movie I've never heard about.
I was sent a letter along with paperwork from the company suing me from my ISP. (comcast) Stating last year I downloaded a movie using a torrent program (??) And that they are following with legal action. They have my IP and my ISP is going to give them my name, address, and MAC. It states it's not criminal, it's civil.

Buuut my real question is, I'm 21. I don't own a car. I down own a house. And I make 9k a year according to my w2s. And I have no memory of watching, let alone downloading the movie in question. What is most likely going to happen and what should I do as the defendant.

If you need more information on this I am glade to provide it. I just put in what I thought was important.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

So I guess I'm being sued for downloading a movie I've never heard about.
I was sent a letter along with paperwork from the company suing me from my ISP. (comcast) Stating last year I downloaded a movie using a torrent program (??) And that they are following with legal action. They have my IP and my ISP is going to give them my name, address, and MAC. It states it's not criminal, it's civil.

Buuut my real question is, I'm 21. I don't own a car. I down own a house. And I make 9k a year according to my w2s. And I have no memory of watching, let alone downloading the movie in question. What is most likely going to happen and what should I do as the defendant.

If you need more information on this I am glade to provide it. I just put in what I thought was important.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Well, put it this way... Your ISP has the proof that the IP belongs to you, and is willing to provide the name and address that is associated with it, along with the MAC. The criminal penalties are not that severe, but civil penalties can be steep for illegal downloads of copyrighted movies.

The fact that you are over 18 means that you can legally form the intent necessary to have a judge award monetary penalties against you. The fact that you do not own a car or a house means that most likely the $9k a year that you claim you make would end up being disposable income for you (you didn't say you DIDN'T make more than $9k, just that this is all that shows on your W2s).

Maybe you don't have money that can be used to collect that judgment now, but unless you plan to never make a dime in the future, then it will be collected later on when you DO have it to collect from. If the plaintiff ends up getting a judgment against you, then that judgment will affect your future ability to rent an apartment, buy a car, or obtain anything by way of credit for quite some time. The judgment creditor can put a levy against bank accounts, any personal possessions, even real estate. And even after the initial judgement expires, it can be renewed for up to 20 years. Move to another state, and the judgment can be enforced there as well under the sister state judgment laws.

swalsh411

Who else used the internet at the time of the alleged violation? Roommate? Family member? Did you have an unsecured wireless network that somebody may have "borrowed"?

The MAC address your ISP knows if that of your router and/or modem. They do not know the address of individual computers on your side of the network. Hence it is not possible to prove specifically what computer downloaded the movie, only that somebody did on that internet connection.

Please tell me the movie is not "nude nuns with big guns".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">