• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dress Code or Civil Right

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mosesco

I am college student currently attending UW-Stout majoring in retail business and management. I am a freshman which makes me 19. Well, my question is about this night club that I go to. They have a strict dress code, yet I think it may be strict ONLY when a person of color like my self walk up to the door. Last week I went to the club and the bouncer asked me to lift my shirt, when I did so he told me my pants were too loose at the waste. Luckily I knew they had a strict dress code and I brought another pair. So when I get back to the line I am by myself behind a group of Caucasian kids every kid walked in without having to lift his shirt. This is where my question comes in. If I could prove that this dance club was using their "dress code" to racially discriminate could I sue them, and if so how would I go about doing this and proving that this is going on.

If any one could give me any feedback it would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely, Rico

V

Vincent Cosent

It still goes on!

Are there any other persons of color attending this club?
If so what do they say?
Strength in numbers.
Any witnesses in line that will back your claim?
Contact the NAACP or a civil rights attorney.
How about the school law dept if there is one.
Im a white colored person and apologize for the ignorance of other whites if this is the situation.Sorry!

JETX

Was this a 'one time' occurrence, or does it happen all the time??

Your own post admits that they have a strict dress code, yet you knowingly wore loose, baggy jeans?? And you were aware of this policy enough to have even brought an 'extra' pair of 'throw-down' jeans that you knew would (or should) pass!!!

Did you ever think that the 'bouncer' may have recognized you from your earlier 'sneak attempt' and THAT was why he asked the second time?? Your claim is somewhat like entrapment... you knowingly violated the 'rules' at first, then yell discrimination when challenged the second time.

In order to have ANY chance of prevailing on a discrimination charge, you will have to show that this is a condoned, repeated, set policy by the club.

Stepping up on the soapbox....
I am an American first, and though I do NOT condone discrimination in any form, I do NOT accept the tendency for people (all kinds!) to try to make themselves victims of someone else. We have been watching too damn much Oprah, Sally Jesse, Rosie, Donahue, etc. Life is not fair in all respects and we are NOT all victims of injustice!!

The sooner you learn (and accept) that life will, by nature, throw you curve balls, unfair acts, and even discrimination, the better your life will be. Heck, I could claim that I didn't get THAT job because my hair was too short/long/gone/, or that I didn't get that promotion because I was too fat/skinny/tall/short, but none of those matter. Deal with life as it was dealt. Be the best and do the best you can with what you have/are. You will be much better off!! Get past it and move on!!
(I have now stepped OFF the soapbox!!)

HomeGuru

mosesco said:
I am college student currently attending UW-Stout majoring in retail business and management. I am a freshman which makes me 19. Well, my question is about this night club that I go to. They have a strict dress code, yet I think it may be strict ONLY when a person of color like my self walk up to the door. Last week I went to the club and the bouncer asked me to lift my shirt, when I did so he told me my pants were too loose at the waste. Luckily I knew they had a strict dress code and I brought another pair. So when I get back to the line I am by myself behind a group of Caucasian kids every kid walked in without having to lift his shirt. This is where my question comes in. If I could prove that this dance club was using their "dress code" to racially discriminate could I sue them, and if so how would I go about doing this and proving that this is going on.

If any one could give me any feedback it would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely, Rico
**A: I suggest you spend more time in school and less time at clubs. A yound mind is a terrible thing to waste.

M

mosesco

Re: ?'s

Yes, I knew the club had a strict dress code but my jeans were not any worse than every white kid in the club, yet I am the one getting asked to see my jeans. This is a common act that they pull. And if any one thinks it is OK to let certain people in the club with ease then when a person of color comes up it is a different story, I don't care who you are that is discrimination. Halket you say I should just let it slide and just look at it as one of "life's injustices," its not so easy when I know I'm up in the back seat of my car changing my pants when it is 2 degrees out side simply because I'm a person of color. If you think they aren't doing any thing wrong, then you must be kin to the white only restaurants owners of the South. This is what is hurting our society so badly is ignorant people think every time a minority says they are being discriminated against instead of wondering why they feel this way they just tell them, brush it off it will be better tomorrow. One more thing. If I were to have a bunch of my white friends and black friends try to get into the club with the same size pants (if they have the same waist) could this prove any thing to get a law suit?

Sincerely, Rico

JETX

Mosesco, don't try to BS us!!!

"its not so easy when I know I'm up in the back seat of my car changing my pants when it is 2 degrees out side simply because I'm a person of color."
Your own post said that you brought this 2nd pair of pants.... you knew in advance that this was probably (if not) going to be an issue!!!

"If you think they aren't doing any thing wrong, then you must be kin to the white only restaurants owners of the South."
Who said anything about "white only restaurants in the South"?? Your assumption that I or anyone is 'kin' for my belief's shows that YOU are the bigot and rascist!!

"This is what is hurting our society so badly is ignorant people think every time a minority says they are being discriminated against instead of wondering why they feel this way they just tell them, brush it off it will be better tomorrow."
Oh, and now you are an elitist when you call people ignorant just because they don't agree with you!! You are really a piece of work. I think we are just beginning to see the real reason why you may have an 'unfair life'..... your being a rascist (yes, black's can be rascists!) and a bigot and intolerant of other's belief's will cause you many a problem in life!!!

Quit looking to become a victim, step up (not out) and accept your role in society. That includes accepting the opportunities (and yes, challenges) that life brings. Do NOT try to make anyone else your reason for failure!!

M

mosesco

re:

Halket thank you for your imput. I'm sure your views are normal in Texas. According to you there must not be racism it must be in "black" peoples heads that we are discriminated on. Please do not reply your input is not taken with any consideration, I like how you turned this ? around to call me a racist. You really showed me that as long as there are people like you, I and probably my children to come will be discriminated on.

Sincerely, Rico

JETX

You need to re-read my post. There is NOTHING in my posts that is rascist. It appears that your determination of discrimination is one-sided and is apparently 'spun' by your inherent desire to be classified as a 'victim'. Some people take a negative and try to find a positive in it. Others take a positive and then look for the negative. I can easily see which you classification you fall under.

And until you change that personal trait, you will be doomed to find rascism and bigotry at every turn you or (if you teach them the same trait) your children make.

Sorry, but I refuse to let you make me the focus of your discrimination.

Have a happy life... and stop trying to blame others for the discrimination and biases we all face in life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">