• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Editor that was hired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebkwriter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I wonder if I have a case. I hired an editor online (she's based out of OR) for the first novel I wrote. I paid over $500 for the critique of the novella. After the novella was published, the editor wrote a negative review about the work/me. It is now taken down but I have a copy of it.

I don't know what her motivations were, but I filled out an honest review about her services. I called her sarcastic (and was nice enough to say some positive things).

The review violated Barnes and Noble policies of writing about the author directly. And, of course, it was unethical for her to review the title in the first place since she worked on it.

I have proof that she has done the same for other ebooks she's worked on.

Do you think I would have a case if I sued her to get back the money I paid? Or if I sued for libel?

As you can see, she's a piece of work.

Thank you.

justalayman

not understanding what you believe you have a claim for. Since when is a person barred from posting their opinion of another person or a literary work? If her critique that you paid for and her review presented opposing claims, then you might be able to use that to discredit her but in general, I see nothing giving rise to a claim for a refund or anything else. For you to be able to seek a refund, you would have to show she breached your contract, Did she?

ebkwriter

not understanding what you believe you have a claim for. Since when is a person barred from posting their opinion of another person or a literary work? If her critique that you paid for and her review presented opposing claims, then you might be able to use that to discredit her but in general, I see nothing giving rise to a claim for a refund or anything else. For you to be able to seek a refund, you would have to show she breached your contract, Did she?
I will have to check the contract. I doubt it says anything about her not being able to post comments on Amazon/Barnes&Noble since it is her contract. Barnes & Noble policy says authors are not supposed to be discussed in the reviews. That is something she did. I may not have a case against getting money back for the services (even though the services she provided were very basic). I guess I need to look into the definition of libel/slander.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I will have to check the contract. I doubt it says anything about her not being able to post comments on Amazon/Barnes&Noble since it is her contract. Barnes & Noble policy says authors are not supposed to be discussed in the reviews. That is something she did. I may not have a case against getting money back for the services (even though the services she provided were very basic). I guess I need to look into the definition of libel/slander.
Did she say anything untrue? Or, did she simply express her opinion?

ebkwriter

Did she say anything untrue? Or, did she simply express her opinion?
She was obviously trying to be mean, but I guess it could be argued that what she expressed was her opinion. However it's very unethical for a paid editor to be involved in reviews of something they worked on. I reported this to the agency she worked for and the managing editor agreed/said I could write a letter to put in her files. I don't know if there are any laws in regards to ethics.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She was obviously trying to be mean, but I guess it could be argued that what she expressed was her opinion. However it's very unethical for a paid editor to be involved in reviews of something they worked on. I reported this to the agency she worked for and the managing editor agreed/said I could write a letter to put in her files. I don't know if there are any laws in regards to ethics.
You DO know what file that will end up in, right?

ebkwriter

You DO know what file that will end up in, right?
Yeah, really. I didn't bother with the letter. But the more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed that she ended up with my money. I guess if I ever do writing seminars I can share this experience. Is there anything else I can pursue in your opinion?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">