• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Education--Child Abuse from a teacher

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dori Reinhart

Ohio - Daughter, 8 years old, third grade, Catholic School
- shoved into a desk by her teacher
- Left alone in the classroom for approx. 1 hour on more than one occation
- Screams "shutup" in my daughter's face
- Takes every opportunity to humiliate her in front of her classmates.
- There have been meetings with the teacher, the principal, and the administrator. All is sweeped aside or labeled excused behavior because the teacher had a bad day. The answer is not to remove my child from the school, especially this late in the year. She will not be attending the school in the fall. No attorney in my area will listen to all the details of this story because it involves the Diocese. I do not believe they are above the law.

JETX

I agree with you that the Diocese is not above the law.
What law have they broken???

Further, I wonder what you want from this forum??? The obvious answer that we can give you, especially considering that this is a private school, is to place your child in another school. You refuse to do that ("The answer is not to remove my child from the school, especially this late in the year."), but THAT is the answer. Assuming that your school will be in summer recess in about 4-6 weeks, there is not enough time to force any resultant legal action, if you were able to litigate.

This leaves us with the most immediate course, that being an injunction. And the courts would probably not grant an "Injunction to not be mean to student", even if you had substantial evidence to support the claim.

So, that leaves us back with the obvious answer to your question.... remove your child from the school.

T

TBTN

Diacose is not above the law.

I would agree with that they are not above the law.

and that a teacher should be held accountable for the action.This is more of a child abuse case.I would sugest that you see the D.A. imediately.if that teacher did to one child, chances are that same teacher will do to other child maybe had already done this.maybe DA office can open an investigation in that school regarding to possible child abuse in school.

JETX

TBTN, I respectfully disagree with your suggestion of calling CPS on the teacher.

A 'read' of the original post shows that the teacher is alleged to have:
1) pushed the child into a desk;
2) yelled "shut up" at her,
3) left the child in the classroom for 1 hour, and
4) "humiliated" the child in front of classmates.

The only 'actionable' item here is the possible 'pushing into a desk', and that is only a slim possibility of 'child abuse' without some further evidence. As to the other issues, I am sure that these are 'she said' items and even if true, they are not child abuse. Don't misunderstand, I am not excusing them, but I also recognize that a teacher should be allowed, within reason, to control her students. And it is hard for me to believe that the school, once they are properly notified of the issue, did not investigate these claims. And if the investigation proved teacher abuse or teacher problems, they would certainly have taken some action to minimize their liability.

Bottom line... you are suggesting a course of action that is excessively extreme for the facts that are presented. And this over-reaction has a strong chance of causing irrepairable harm to the parent, the student and the teacher. Next time you decide to 'take a stand', please consider the weight of the facts before you, and that we are only hearing one side of the issue. The best course for this parent is still what she doesn't want to hear... remove the child from the school.

T

TBTN

Halket-
I could understand that mother should take her daughter out of school however,this may not solve the problem with a teacher at catholic school.I said if the teacher did those things with this 8 yrs old child,(alledged) she/he could have done the same with other child in school.

child abuse comes in all forms no matter what circumstances are.physical,sexual, emotional, mental, and verbal abuse.

shouting word "shut up" to child's face is verbal abuse, it undermines a child's self worth or confidences, humilating a child in class also undermines child's confidence.

Teacher should be held accountable for his/her action toward the students.that teacher if the accucations were true, has no bussiness being a teacher because all that teacher would teach the students that it is ok to get violence with another person.

the safety of children should be in consideration when we places our children in care of the teacher who would teaches our childre, mold their minds to what they would learn.as I said, taking her child out of that school may have solved her problems, but it may not have solved other children who may be subjected to such same abuse from that teacher.

JETX

Your partly correct. Hollering "shut up" to a child is inexcusable, specially from a teacher. But your suggest was to call the DA on the teacher. Regretfully, shouting "shut up" is not a crime and your suggesting that the DA would even get involved in sucha minor issue is ludicrous (I am not minimizing it). This parent has already tried to resolve the problem without success. She needs to now determine what is the best action for her child, and as I suggested, the only remedy is to remove the child from the 'abusive' environment.

Your suggesting that she contact DA to have the teacher "held accountable for the action" is not warranted and will, in my opinion, have little or no effect. Especially if the parent is not able to DOCUMENT the so-called abuses.

T

TBTN

true, that the mother should have the proofs that the teacher may have hurt her child.but don't the child herself is a proof that she/he did all those things the child said the teacher did? maybe it is maybe it is not.but one have to ask ourselves do we really want to take the chance that it could happen agian maybe with our own child(ren) this time?

If it were a child that said that her parent did all those things to her I.E. "mom shoved me to the desk, shouted shut-up to my face etc.. How quickly would a person would call the csp to her parent's home then whisk her away from her family then imediately held her mother accountable in this situation. sounds extreme? sure but it is that parents who are responsible for their children 24/7 at all times.and the D.A. would be quick to proscute the parents but are slow on that same sceniario with a teacher accused of such the same.except for the sexual abuse.

I realized that maybe the attorneys are slow to proscute the teacher of this because of past deeds that csp personal did with majority of the child day caretakers of more than 10 years ago.

But, I would still suggest that mother do what is best for her child.Maybe she didn't want to take her child out of that school is probably it is a very good school for her child to attend in her home area.

[Edited by TBTN on 04-29-2001 at 09:30 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">