• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Effects of "false" arrests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrHandy

What is the name of your state? New York

My ex wife had me arrested for allegedly sending her email that technically violated an order of protection. Although my name was not on these alleged emails,she presumed me guilty of sending them. The email address that the emails came from was , at one time, an email address that I had used. I was arrested three times in all and at the last arrest I was remanded to the county jail. 2 days later I suffered a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized for 6 days. I want to know if I can sue for damages and defamation because I was arrested at my job, in front of my coworkers.
I suffer from clinical Depression and have for several years. Before this happened, I was on the top of the world--working full time, had my own little side business, a hom e,friends,active social life. Now, since the arrests and hospitalization, I had to give up my job, I can't work. I stay at home most of the time. No social life, mutual friends of ours have not contacted me.
I am scared to death of State Police and the sight of one of their cars in the neighborhood sends me into a panic.

Do I have a case for defamation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">