• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EU citizen sue my American small business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thrashertm

What is the process that someone in Poland could use to sue my Illinois business? As the aggrieved party has a pretty weak case, do you think it's probable that they would initiate action over ~$20,000 in damages?
To give some background, my firm helped broker a deal that went bad. While I and my firm acted in good faith, one of the parties committed fraud and made off with ~$20K in funds. My main role was to introduce and facilitate the transaction between the parties. Thanks

LdiJ

What is the process that someone in Poland could use to sue my Illinois business? As the aggrieved party has a pretty weak case, do you think it's probable that they would initiate action over ~$20,000 in damages?
To give some background, my firm helped broker a deal that went bad. While I and my firm acted in good faith, one of the parties committed fraud and made off with ~$20K in funds. My main role was to introduce and facilitate the transaction between the parties. Thanks
Is it possible for a Polish national to sue an American company? Yes, it is possible. It would be an expensive proposition for the Polish national as they would have to hire an attorney in the US to pursue the case, and might have to travel to the US more than once in the process of the case, but its truly possible. If its truly a weak case, it might be more financial risk than they are willing to take for a potential 20k recovery.

You however, need to figure out whether or not the case is actually as weak as you think it is, and the only way that you are going to be able to do that, is if you consult an attorney and lay everything out on the table...with FULL disclosure.

Now, you also have to consider whether or not there is a criminal element to the case...and whether or not you could be treated as complicit in the crime. The attorney you consult would likely have colleagues who could advise on that particular issue. That would be an entirely different issue from any civil liability. The location where the potential crime actually took place would factor in as well. Full disclosure would be important there as well.

If any of the attorneys tell you to pony up and give the Polish national his 20k...it would behoove you to listen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">