• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX forges Signiture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmwiles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have a question about my soon-to-be-ex husband forging my signiture on the stimulus check sent to us from the government. We had been seperated for nearly 5 months when he got this check and admitted to signing my name on the check and depositing it into his bank account. I had already spoken with an attorney and filling out the divorce papers when he got that check. He claimed to have spoken to an attorney and the attorney advised that it would be okay for him to sign my name on that check since we were not legally divorced yet. I contacted the IRS for advice and they said it was a civil matter between him and myself. Is it not illegal to forge a signiture on anything without permission no matter who it is? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks:confused:

smorr

Yeah.. IRS won't help you on that. And yes, it's illegal to forge anyone's signature. Even if it's your husband!! What did your attorney say? I'd have your attorney put the amount the hubby took and work it into the separation agreement (that he'll have to pay you back). Please, please beware of your ex doing the same thing with any tax refunds he's getting (next year). If you filed jointly, he can screw you big time!!! If he did it with this check what's to stop him from doing it on a refund form? My ex did the same thing to me, although he coerced me into signing refund forms and later I found out he owed big money. His excuse is the IRS told him we had to file joint because we were married during the year he needed to file. I couldn't fight it with the IRS because it was MY signature. And guess who ended up with the bill? Worst part is, I didn't work during that time. I was an at-home mom with two small kids. But I got the crap end of the deal. Go figure. The only thing that saved me was the separation agreement because my attorney fixed it so he'd be responsible for the debt. After the emancipaion of both kids, I went after him for contempt. Got my money back too... all $12,000.00 of it and it cost me nothing to file the contempt petition! So, be careful of what he does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">