• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Girlfriend left her car...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So my ex girlfriend moved to the east coast (Feb 24th) thinking she may or may not move back to Cali. She left her car here. It's currently sitting in my apartment complex parking lot. The registration has expired.

She has decided she wants to sell the vehicle, but she wants me to go through the work to clean it and get it ready to sell before she sends me the title. I told her I'm not going to work on the vehicle and get it ready to sell until I can sell it which means I need the title in hand and the registration sticker.

I've told her I will
A. Move it off the property and onto the street where it will be towed and impounded and she can deal with it and the fines which will incur.
B. Take it to one of her friends houses for them to deal with it.
C. Fix it up and sell it and give her 100% of the money if she gives me the title and registration so I can do it.

I'm completely dumfounded because she is saying she wants me to fix it up before she sends me the title. I've told her flatly no.

Can I get in trouble for moving the car at this point, or calling to have it towed? Should I send her a registered letter letting her know my intentions?

I'm really not sure how to handle this?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not sure if anyone knows it used to be parked in front of my place, I'm a bit concerned about that but I guess if that was the case I'd get a letter....
Did she live WITH you? That's the only way I can see you being held responsible (by the apartment complex.) If they contact you, just tell them that it's not your car and they can do whatever they please with it.*

*This is assuming that you didn't make some kind of agreement with your ex that could leave you on the hook to her.

Did she live WITH you? That's the only way I can see you being held responsible (by the apartment complex.) If they contact you, just tell them that it's not your car and they can do whatever they please with it.*

*This is assuming that you didn't make some kind of agreement with your ex that could leave you on the hook to her.
She did live with me, and I did agree to sell it, not in writing. I told her then I needed the title, she never gave it to me. I still WANT to sell it for her to help her out. It would be way easier for me to wash my hands of it, but I'm trying to be the good guy here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She did live with me, and I did agree to sell it, not in writing. I told her then I needed the title, she never gave it to me. I still WANT to sell it for her to help her out. It would be way easier for me to wash my hands of it, but I'm trying to be the good guy here.
In this case, good guy = schmuck. But that's just my opinion...

RRevak

Ok question....if your intent was to sell, how did you propose to do so without some measure of "fixing it up"?

justalayman

Was she on the lease?

If so, is she still on the lease?

You cannot move the car one inch without incurring liability for what may happen to the car.

Astrolink

Sounds like all she wants you to do is vacuum the thing out and wax it; using today's spray on/wipe waxes it sounds like you would have to put all of 30 minutes into getting it ready to sell. You aren't obligated to do anything, but it sounds like you are making a big deal out of nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">