• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wants divorce decree settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saksaw

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I have lived in TX for 3 years now. I divorced my ex-husband, who lives in Alabama, almost two years ago. In the decree it states for me to pay him $1500, which I have not done. I left with nothing more than our dogs and don't feel obligated to pay. He has now gotten a lawyer and taken me to court. The judgement was in his favor. What steps should I do to protect myself in this matter. Can I be arrested for non-payment? Does it matter we are in different states?
Thanks for your time.

JETX

saksaw said:
I have lived in TX for 3 years now. I divorced my ex-husband, who lives in Alabama, almost two years ago. In the decree it states for me to pay him $1500, which I have not done. I left with nothing more than our dogs and don't feel obligated to pay. He has now gotten a lawyer and taken me to court. The judgement was in his favor. What steps should I do to protect myself in this matter.
Sorry, but I doubt that any responsible person will help you in trying to evade a proper, valid legal process.

Can I be arrested for non-payment?
Not unless you are found in contempt of a court order.

Does it matter we are in different states?
Yes. Not only are you in a debtor-friendly state, but he would have to domesticate that 'foreign' judgment into the Texas legal system (fairly easy) in order to enforce it there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">