• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extreemly Exposed on the Web by a Govt Agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tonycrossett

Two years ago I sent an application to the USDA-NRCS in Kentucky via USAJOBS. Last week I received an email from a person I don't know informing me that a Human Resources person in that agency shared four of the documents in my application package (OF-306, DD214, SF-50, and VA Disability Letter) all containing my social security number and other PII in an email to unauthorized persons outside the agency. I want to pursue civil action in this matter, but am having issues in finding representation. Does my case have merit? What "kind" of an attorney should I be looking for?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And how do you know that this email from an unknown person is accurate?

tonycrossett

I have contacted the HR person's Director (Boss) and was refered to a department that investigates issues such as these. I have been denied credit recently and now I'm wondering if this doesn't have something to do with it. I am in the process of obtaining credit reports from all three reporting agencies. is there any other actions I need to attend to at this time?

tonycrossett

I know the email from the unknown person (UP) is accurate because the agency I work for now tracked him down and I have made contact. The UP on my request sent me the email he received from his Iphone. As I have said the agency in question has begun their investigation, I plan to call regularly for updates on the "investigation".

jack-d

I know the email from the unknown person (UP) is accurate because the agency I work for now tracked him down and I have made contact. The UP on my request sent me the email he received from his Iphone. As I have said the agency in question has begun their investigation, I plan to call regularly for updates on the "investigation".
Tony,

My personal experience with government agencies investigating their own is not good. I have thrice (local law enforcement, post office and fbi) hoped for them to be honest, but it never bore fruit.

I personally would not wait. I would consult with a lawyer and you might want to read up on HIPAA laws first.

I would also be very angry if those documents were made public

tonycrossett

Tony,

My personal experience with government agencies investigating their own is not good. I have thrice (local law enforcement, post office and fbi) hoped for them to be honest, but it never bore fruit.

I personally would not wait. I would consult with a lawyer and you might want to read up on HIPAA laws first.

I would also be very angry if those documents were made public

The whole point of my post is trying to find an attorney interested enough to take this case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not an attorney referral service and reputable attorneys do not troll message boards looking for clients.

tonycrossett

This is not an attorney referral service and reputable attorneys do not troll message boards looking for clients.
Not necessaryly looking for a referral from this forum, however; the type of "Law Practice" attorney to search for would be some fantastic information. I do have to agree with the trolling comment too. Thanks.

quincy

Not necessaryly looking for a referral from this forum, however; the type of "Law Practice" attorney to search for would be some fantastic information. I do have to agree with the trolling comment too. Thanks.
You can start an attorney search in your area by going to the Kentucky Bar Association site: http://www.kybar.org

It sounds from your concerns that you will be best off with an attorney who specializes in privacy rights. It is possible you could have a case with merit, but a personal review would be necessary. Generally when personal identifying information is mistakenly disclosed (or stolen), the most important thing to do is to post "potential identity theft" warnings with the credit agencies and check your credit reports with regularity to ensure no one is using your information without authorization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">