• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to answer and discovery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mabmojo

Was served with a lawsuit if I do no answer the lawsuit will a discovery still be issued?
Federal court in fl

Thanks guys

quincy

If you receive a complaint and do not answer the complaint within the alloted period of time (generally 28 days), you are essentially admitting that everything in the complaint is true.

When there is no genuine issue of material fact shown, then a judgment is granted on the claim submitted. In other words, the other side automatically wins. A judgment is issued in their favor. There is no discovery, no nothing - you lose.

So you DO NOT want to ignore the complaint. You WANT to answer the complaint WITHIN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED ON THE COMPLAINT, and admit, deny, or say that you do not have sufficient knowledge to either admit or deny the claims made.

Then you want to file an affirmative defense.

You Are Guilty

If you receive a complaint and do not answer the complaint within the alloted period of time (generally 28 days), you are essentially admitting that everything in the complaint is true.

When there is no genuine issue of material fact shown, then a judgment is granted on the claim submitted. In other words, the other side automatically wins. A judgment is issued in their favor. There is no discovery, no nothing - you lose.

So you DO NOT want to ignore the complaint. You WANT to answer the complaint WITHIN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED ON THE COMPLAINT, and admit, deny, or say that you do not have sufficient knowledge to either admit or deny the claims made.

Then you want to file an affirmative defense.
In Federal court, you never get 28 days. Most people get 20, but there is a possibility of a longer time for certain defendants/in certain cases (60/90). You also have to file your affirmative defenses with the answer as you need the court's permission to amend. FRCP 4 and 12 should cover it.

mabmojo

Thank you sir,

I see,
So i need to produce the documents requested. After that The case may or may not go to court. This all preliminary I belive?

seniorjudge

Thank you sir,

I see,
So i need to produce the documents requested. After that The case may or may not go to court. This all preliminary I belive?
Discovery is part of the case; I wouldn't call it "preliminary" but that is neither here nor there.

mabmojo

I want to thank SR. Judge and every one on this forum. The answers that have been given to me have provided me with much comfort.

I just finished my deposition, as the defendant in the Fed Trademark case I am involved in. Any Idea what I can expect next?

I never sent an answer to the court, I did however sign a consent for Preliminary Injunction and expiated discovery. Would this be considered an answer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">