• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false accusations=restraining order and assault charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mboutin

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? NH
My wife/partner came home one day in January and ended our relationship for apparently no good reason. I got upset because she wouldn't explain anything to me so I began cutting up some family photos when she hit me in the head. Without thinking, I hit her back and then she called the cops and had me arrested. She lied and claims she never hit me and her 12 year old daughter lied too. Now I'm facing simple assault charges and have a domestic violence retraining order hanging over my head. I'm being steamrolled here and I have no rights to my personal property in the house we co-own and she wants to keep everything we bought together and the house too. What the hell can I do? My attorney says that because our civil union is not recognized in this state and because of the restraining order, I have to sit back and wait for her to dictate what I can and cannot have in the house. I want to sell the house and I'd like to get my personal belongings out. Can anyone help me?

Alias_joe

who's name is the house in?
what does your state law say?

is this some kind of common interest arrangement?

what are the contractual points in your civil union?

mboutin

false accusations

As far as the civil union goes, it is not recognized at all in any way by the state of NH, which is where we reside and where the house is located. Both of our names are on the house, but right now she is the only one occupying the house because of the restraining order.

For all the money we spent to have our relationship recognized by the state of vermont, it NH, it's absolutely useless. NH doesn't even recognize domestic partners and we never bothered filling out any sort of documentation regarding seperation or division of property because we both were very much believing that we'd always be together. Other than the fact that we are both legally linked to the house and both share a common last name, NH does not recognize our relationship what-so-ever, therein lies my problem. There will be no divorce as civil unions cannot only be dissolved if one or both of the partners resides in VT for at least a year and NH won't even touch the topic because the state doesn't recognize the union in the first place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">