• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family member leaves stuff behind after moving out in response to ejectment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvan811

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Family member lived in (1) room in my home and refused to leave when asked. We filed an ejectment. We live in Manatee County, but as they did not have the proper forms, we were advised by an attorney to use another county form, and simply change all titles, etc to Manatee County. Unfortunately, we failed to change the county name in (2) places. Family member retained an attorney, and on the last day the attorney filed for a dismissal for lack of jurisdiction siting the (2) places we did not change the county name. Prior to this filing, it was agreed that family member would move out 2/28, even though the ejectment would have required her to leave out on 2/23. Family member moved out today, but left some belongings (some clothes, various small amount of junk & worth less than $100). She said she retained the attorney & had the motion filed to give her more time to move, and said she could not move out all of her belongings because she did not have enough boxes. My question is how do I respond to this without getting myself in trouble? She is vindictive, and I'm sure has an alterior motive to leaving this junk behind. I also do not want to give her access to my home without me being here. She has told me that she signed a lease at a new place, and I believe she has changed her address at the post office.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Family member lived in (1) room in my home and refused to leave when asked. We filed an ejectment. We live in Manatee County, but as they did not have the proper forms, we were advised by an attorney to use another county form, and simply change all titles, etc to Manatee County. Unfortunately, we failed to change the county name in (2) places. Family member retained an attorney, and on the last day the attorney filed for a dismissal for lack of jurisdiction siting the (2) places we did not change the county name. Prior to this filing, it was agreed that family member would move out 2/28, even though the ejectment would have required her to leave out on 2/23. Family member moved out today, but left some belongings (some clothes, various small amount of junk & worth less than $100). She said she retained the attorney & had the motion filed to give her more time to move, and said she could not move out all of her belongings because she did not have enough boxes. My question is how do I respond to this without getting myself in trouble? She is vindictive, and I'm sure has an alterior motive to leaving this junk behind. I also do not want to give her access to my home without me being here. She has told me that she signed a lease at a new place, and I believe she has changed her address at the post office.

Box it up and send it to her attorney (with a letter of explanation)--send it Certified w/ signature required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">