• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a faxed Information Subpoena legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lonelycastle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Subpoena from Texas, faxed to Wisconsin.

I run an online website and we recently received a subpoena from Texas requesting information on a user (registration info, posts, etc.). The subpoena was faxed to us after a man saying he was a Detective called us up. The fax looks legitimate (it's signed by a district attorney), but I want to be 100% sure I'm required to give out this information before I do.

Also, what is an acceptable format for providing this information? Could I set up a page on the site which displays all the users information, posts, etc. Or do I have to e-mail it, mail it, or what exactly?

Thanks.

FlyingRon

Sure it's legal. Of course, you do have the right to insist on it being served officially (which is going to be by USPS most likely).
Unless you have some reason to believe that you are not dealing with a legitimate law enforcement organization, there's no need to be obstinate.

Some Random Guy

Could I set up a page on the site which displays all the users information, posts, etc. Or do I have to e-mail it, mail it, or what exactly?
Type it up, print it, photocopy it, put a stamp on it and drop it in the mail.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Subpoena from Texas, faxed to Wisconsin.

I run an online website and we recently received a subpoena from Texas requesting information on a user (registration info, posts, etc.). The subpoena was faxed to us after a man saying he was a Detective called us up. The fax looks legitimate (it's signed by a district attorney), but I want to be 100% sure I'm required to give out this information before I do.

Also, what is an acceptable format for providing this information? Could I set up a page on the site which displays all the users information, posts, etc. Or do I have to e-mail it, mail it, or what exactly?

Thanks.
**A: did you call the office listed on the document to confirm the legality?

Rexlan

I don't think the DA in Texas has the authority to issue the subpoena in this case. I would wait for a Court Order from Wisconsin as a CYA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">