• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ferret custody.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But, do you ever have to consider the family pet, in regards to the best interest of the kids? Does pet placement come up?
Yes I have had battles over the family pet in my cases. And no, it IS not considered based on best interest of the kids/pets. And yes, I am in Ohio. But whatever. I am used to laypeople today deciding they know everything. You can all go to court and show your butt.

JennK2009

When the heck is your Mickey Mouse vacation?

Because, quite frankly, you need it.

Geez. Just trying to have an intelligent conversation about the law, here.

Last edited:

quincy

Ha. I am glad it was you who asked the question of Ohiogal* and not me, JennK2009, because I personally have no desire to go to court and show my butt. ;)

It is often a "rogue" judge in a state who will decide that a pet should be treated differently than property and who will then consider best interest factors similar to those used by courts for children. And some states have shown themselves more open and friendly than others toward the idea of accepting pets as companions and not chattel.

Ohio is making some progress in recognizing pets as something other than property, with Senate Bill 177, which automatically includes pets under any order of protection in domestic violence disputes. The Senator who introduced the bill, Senator Skindell, said: "It is important to recognize that these animals are not considered a piece of property. Most people in our society consider their pet to be a companion or member of the family."

See http://www.ohiosenate.gov/senate/democrats/press/legislation-to-protect-pets-in-domestic-disputes-passes-ohio-senate

*Are you feeling okay, OG?

Last edited:

JennK2009

More good news! Lets us give thanks and praise. You rock quincy, thanks. It's encouraging to see progress with these baby steps in varying states. With all the other social ails, this one kind of fell off my radar. Your links have inspired me to get right back to it (while the BFF's are napping on the couch.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">